Mexico Advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
Foxy Long Bottoms

Mexico Advice

by Foxy Long Bottoms » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi! My friends and I are looking into a quick trip to Mexico to climb Pico de Fraile, Itza and just a quick jaunt up Arista de Humbolt. We are all experienced mountaineers and climbers. We are looking into a guide service to basically take away the logistics. From looking at the routes, a guide is not necessary but might be nice for some in our party. Are their any inexpensive services that will work with you based on your individual needs, like maybe provide an a la carte package?

Here is our proposed itinerary:

3/16: Arrive in Mexico City, travel to camp. Quick climb up Arista de Humbolt.
3/17: Pico de Fraile and camp
3/18: Itza via Arista del Sol
3/19: Free day for whatever.
3/20: Home

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Foxy

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Mexico Advice

by Scott » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Suggestions:

A guide won't be needed for sure. Those mountains are walk ups. It may save you time though.

Although doable, that trip is way too short. There is more to Mexico than a few scree piles. I'd highly recommend waiting until you have more time to do the trip.

Foxy Long Bottoms

by Foxy Long Bottoms » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Yes, agreed but as a single parent juggling career everything else, I see myself as being fortunate to even be able to do this. These peaks meet the needs of my group. Scree piles or not, its what we want to do. Someday I will have more time. Any info on logistics or guide service recommendations would be appreciated.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:18 am

Any info on logistics or guide service recommendations would be appreciated.

Maybe check Mexico Extreme for logistics help:

http://mexico-extreme.com/index.php?eng ... untain/10/

Unfortunately, I only have personal experience with the public transport option (we used Summit Orizaba to get to Orizaba trailhead and buses and taxis the rest of the time). I do know of the three main companies (all of which are reputable) doing Izta and Orizaba (Servimont, Summit Orizaba, and Orizaba Mountain Guides), and other volcanoes, but there offices are near Orizaba. The above might be worth checking out.

Here's how to get to Izta:

From the Mexico City airport, the closest bus station is TAPO. It's about a 5 to 10 minute ride depending on traffic. Make sure to get the authorized taxis from the airport stands as taxis on the street will likely quote gringos at least a 5 to 6 times mark-up on official rates.

From TAPO there are buses traveling in every direction at pretty much anytime.

Amecameca is your first destination. From TAPO, Servicio Volcánes buses run every 20 minutes between 5AM to 9PM.

In Amecameca you can find accommodations right off the main square at the Hotel San Carlos, or the quieter El Marques at the north end of town (be aware that the TV channels have a more playboy theme!).

From Amecameca, take a taxi to La Joya, the trailhead for Izta.

For Nevado Toluca, if you are short on time you can hire a taxi from Toluca. It sounds like you may not have time to do this one with public transport, but if you do, you can catch a bus to Sultepec, but instead of going all the way to Sultepec, get off the bus at Raices. You can walk or hitch the road to the crater from there.

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:30 pm

SawtoothSean used Servimont to create a custom itinerary. It was door-to-door. They picked him up at the airport, shuttled to all the spots they wanted to visit, helped get through entrance fees, etc., and got them back to the airport. Sounds like what you are after.

Trip Report:
http://www.summitpost.org/orizaba-itza-2009/512436

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm

SawtoothSean used Servimont to create a custom itinerary.

Servimont is a good company and would be a great if you are also climbing Orizaba, but since their office is in Tlachichuca near Orizaba, which is the opposite direction from Mexico City and a long way from Nevado Toluca, it might be expensive to get to Toluca, especially if you aren't going to Orizaba as part of the package. The same is true of Summit Orizaba (we used them to get to the Orizaba Trailhead) and Orizaba Mountain Guides.

Sevimont (or Summit Orizaba and Orizaba Mountain Guides) will take you to Nevado Toluca, but it's the opposite direction than they usually go. If you are climbing Toluca, it might be better (or at least more economical) to find a company in Mexico City or Toluca. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check though.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.03 KiB) Viewed 7175 times

Anyway, one more thing that would help with logistics is that there is a lodge on Nevado Toluca at ~12,000 feet, an albergue at ~12,800 feet, and a mountain hut at ~13,500 feet (estimates) just in case you wanted to sleep there.

Foxy Long Bottoms

by Foxy Long Bottoms » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Thank you so much!!!

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean