White Mountain Access

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
asmrz

White Mountain Access

by asmrz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi everybody

Does anyone knows how far we can drive on the White Mountain Road? We have a 4wd.

Is the road drive-able all the way to the gate one mile below Schulman Grove?

Would anyone know?

Debbie?

The Bishop Ranger Station only gives out general info, nothing specific.

Scott M.

Re: White Mountain Access

by Scott M. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:12 pm

I think you might be lucky to drive to Grandview Campground right now.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:31 am

Snow begins immediately off Hwy 168 right now. We got quite a lot of snow out here after the big storm, and it stayed cold for a good while. So I wouldn't plan on getting very far. If you try it, I'd love to know how it is!

asmrz

by asmrz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Thank you guys.

We will probably wait a while before we attempt to ski to White Mountain. My wife thinks the whole trip from Hwy 168 is about 50 miles one way and that feels a bit too much for me.

Hopefully, the road opens up a bit more in a few weeks.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Google Maps has the summit is 27.6 miles by car & 32 mies by foot from Westgard Pass . Breaking trail on skis it might be longer or shorter.Good luck !

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks Palisades79.

We looked at the map, measured the distance and it seems to be about 34 miles from the Highway 168 intersection as the topo map goes. My wife was just guessing the distance over glass of wine. Obviously, we would need a good stable weather window and settled snow conditions to have a chance of skiing it. It's hard to judge it from a long distance though...

Penelope just called the White Mountain Ranger Station again and got somebody who knew. There are three to four feet of snow at the Highway 168 intersection and the snow gets deeper when you follow the road up to the closed gate. The road is not passable at this time. Just FYI.

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Is there anyone who would have recent conditions update on White Mountain Road at Westgard Pass?

My wife called the White Mountain Ranger Station again this morning and got someone to read her some Web Side conditions as of mid January. They don't have anything recent and obviously, January info might as well be last year's info. I cannot believe they would even offer something like that to the public. Would think that saying we have no info would be way better than giving out dated info.

So, if you know something, please let us know.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:51 am

There's still a fair amount of snow cover on the ground at Westgard, but it's warm lately and the pavement visible at the turnoff is long since melted out. My guess is that it would be mostly pretty clear, but probably some big snow patches and ice hanging on in some shady spots. If I go to town this weekend, I'll see if I can take a look at least a little ways up the road for you.

asmrz

by asmrz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks jfrishmanIII, We are hoping to attempt the ski on or around March 22. Hoping to drive up the White Mountain Rd for a bit if possible.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:15 pm

Well, I finally went to town, and took a quick look up the White Mtn Road. The snow patches started very soon and I gave up at about a mile from 168 at a stretch of snow with no obvious end heading into deep shade on a corner. Someone more motivated could likely get farther (there's more sun exposure further up), but if it were me I'd definitely want four wheels. It's really warm here right now, though, so you can expect a lot of melt over the next week.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for the update. There might be some more snow coming that way in a few days. We will see what develops. We are quite flexible with the timing. I just don't want to have to hike carrying the skis and boots too much. Would rather ski.

Again, I appreciate your update, very nice of you to do it. Thanks.

fedak

by fedak » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:15 pm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:46 pm

fedak Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I hurt my knee in J Tree couple weeks ago and it's a bad sprain. I need to let it rest for a bit. We are not likely to do anything for a while. But again, thanks for all your help in this matter. Cheers, Alois.

no avatar
Jsmuldoon

by Jsmuldoon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Hey folks,

Anyone know current conditions of White Mountain Road? Possible to drive up to Barcroft Gate yet?

Jeremy

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Inyo NF is now saying the road is open to the Patriarch Grove turnoff. If there's still snow above that, it's hard to imagine it'll be there long, as hot as it's been around here. I haven't heard that the road's been graded for the year yet, so expect lots of bumps.

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
Jsmuldoon

Return to California