A Week in UT/CO

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
jerky1280

A Week in UT/CO

by jerky1280 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:43 am

All,

In the process of moving cross-country, I have about a week to spend between Vegas and Denver and was looking for some recommendations for non-technical day-hike summits. I'm planning on going Mt. Elbert, but otherwise have no plans. I'm looking primarily for mountains to day hike/run, but if there are other can't-miss locales I'm very interested. I'm a bit familiar with the Denver area but totally new to Utah.

In a day, I'm capable of up to 15 or so miles flat ground, or 6,000 feet vertical, or some combination thereof.

Thanks!

Stu Brandel

Re: A Week in UT/CO

by Stu Brandel » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:14 am

If you are going from Vegas to Denver it would be a shame not to stop in Zion National Park in Utah (2-3 hours northeast of Vegas). In the canyon itself I have witnessed people run up to the point Angel's Landing gets a little exposed, but I would do this early in the morning or very late in the day because there are too many people otherwise. It is paved most of the way, but the finish is class 2 exposed rock trail. It is exceptionally scenic (5.4 miles round trip, 1400 ft). Observation Point is also beautiful but the trail is much rougher (8 miles round trip, 2100 feet).

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:18 am

What time of year are you going? It will make a big difference on the recommendations.

jerky1280

by jerky1280 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:01 am

Scott wrote:What time of year are you going? It will make a big difference on the recommendations.

It's going to be the second week of June.

Stu Brandel wrote:If you are going from Vegas to Denver it would be a shame not to stop in Zion National Park in Utah (2-3 hours northeast of Vegas). In the canyon itself I have witnessed people run up to the point Angel's Landing gets a little exposed, but I would do this early in the morning or very late in the day because there are too many people otherwise. It is paved most of the way, but the finish is class 2 exposed rock trail. It is exceptionally scenic (5.4 miles round trip, 1400 ft). Observation Point is also beautiful but the trail is much rougher (8 miles round trip, 2100 feet).

Sweet, it looks amazing. Thanks!

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:35 pm

jerky1280 wrote:It's going to be the second week of June.

Others can give their opinion, and I don't know if it matters to you, but Elbert will likely be a little snowy this year, the second week of June.

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:23 am

I'd spend it all in Utah. You can't do it justice in a week but you could work your way from Moab over to Zion on the Southern route and have endless options for day hikes and climbs through some of the most amazing country in the US.

jerky1280

by jerky1280 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Unfortunately, family obligations just came up, and I'm going to have to hoof it across Utah to visit my grandmother east of Denver. I'll be visiting the Grand Canyon and Zion with my wife and 2-year-old, but other than that will have to spend the few days I have in central Colorado. Thanks for the input all.

Return to Utah