Climb Mulhacen in Spain from Capileira

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Paul8

Climb Mulhacen in Spain from Capileira

by Paul8 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:39 pm

1. I understand the road from Capileira to Hoya del Portillo is not a good road. Can a 2-wheel-drive car be able to go from Capileira to Hoya del Portillo?
2. How long does it take to walk from Hoya del Portillo to the summit of Mulhacen
3. How long does it take to walk from Trevelez to the summit of Mulhacen
Thank you for looking into my questions.
Paul

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Climb Mulhacen in Spain from Capileira

by Gangolf Haub » Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Paul8 wrote:1. I understand the road from Capileira to Hoya del Portillo is not a good road. Can a 2-wheel-drive car be able to go from Capileira to Hoya del Portillo?
2. How long does it take to walk from Hoya del Portillo to the summit of Mulhacen
3. How long does it take to walk from Trevelez to the summit of Mulhacen
Thank you for looking into my questions.
Paul

We drove up to Hoya del Portillo with a rental car back in 2008. At the time it was rough but I don't recall any serious problems. We didn't reach the summit as it had taken us too long to get to Hoya del Portillo from where we were staying so that we didn't attempt the ascent. Having started around 10:00 a.m. we just about reached the spot where the western route to the summit starts but had to return in order to get back in time. I'd think we hiked for 3.5 to 4h one way.

I can't say for sure but it kinda looked as if hiking the south ridge (Lomo de Mulhacen) would have gotten us to the summit in about the same time.

Diego Sahagún

Re: Climb Mulhacen in Spain from Capileira

by Diego Sahagún » Mon May 22, 2017 9:19 am

1 and 2. Yep, though it's not a road it is not a bad track for 2WD cars, I've driven to Hoya del Portilla without any issues. However, there are buses from Capileira wich takes you to approximately 2700 m near Alto del Chorrillo, where Mulhacen's summit is more near Paul. It will be 5 hours from Hoya del Portillo (2175 m) and 1 h 30' from Alto del Chorrillo. That bus shoul be hired some days (week) before your ascent in Capileira.

3. It's better to aproach Mulhacen from Hoya del Portillo or Alto del Chorrillo. Don't know how many hours is from Trevelez but I'll check it for you, guess it's 6-7 hours counting only the ascent...

Anyway, it's good to attempt Mulhacen before mid June because of the heat, try to avoid warm days. Another option would be just after the summer, from mid September to early November

Return to Europe