Denali - Climbing options - Cost

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
tguha

Denali - Climbing options - Cost

by tguha » Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 am

I am looking for few options to explore.

- Which Guide company charge the lowest for a - Denali West Buttress Climb.
- Which company charge lowest for - Denali Prep Course?
- Is there a web link where all Denali Guide Companies are listed?

Thanks
Tapas

Tonka

Re: Denali - Climbing options - Cost

by Tonka » Wed May 31, 2017 8:25 pm

All these companies are reputable and cost should be your last concern. Nobody comes back from an expedition like this and says, "man, I could have shaved a few more pennies here."

tguha

by tguha » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:49 am

Great Answer - Puma concolor.
Really appreciated about the thorough info.

OPHIRTODD

by OPHIRTODD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 am

I'd suggest looking a bit deeper than just the face value of the cost from each guide service.

Each provides somewhat different services for their trip fee, such as transportation to/from Talkeetna, some provide lodging in Alaska as part of the cost and some don't provide all your food for the expedition. Those additional costs can add up...

Also, something to consider is the group size and the guide to climber ratio, which can vary from company to company. My point is that the list of costs might not be a straight up apples to apples comparison.

Good luck!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:44 pm

OPHIRTODD wrote:I'd suggest looking a bit deeper than just the face value of the cost from each guide service.

Each provides somewhat different services for their trip fee, such as transportation to/from Talkeetna, some provide lodging in Alaska as part of the cost and some don't provide all your food for the expedition. Those additional costs can add up...

Also, something to consider is the group size and the guide to climber ratio, which can vary from company to company. My point is that the list of costs might not be a straight up apples to apples comparison.

Good luck!

Good post, not all guide services are equal and the difference in cost between the cheapest and the most is expensive Is negligible when you consider the cost of gear, air transportation to Alaska, air transportation from Talkeetna to the glacier (that 30 minute trip was nearly triple the fare of my round trip ticket from Seattle to Anchorage - $550 with TAT, $200 with Alaska Airlines on my last trip to the AK Range in 2005), etc.

I used to work as a guide and have quite a few friends who still work as guides. In my opinion, the best guide services for Denali are AMS, AAI and AAI, simply based on knowing the guides and directors at all of those organizations.

Return to Canada and Alaska