Skiing in Summer Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
eajhns

Skiing in Summer Colorado

by eajhns » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:49 pm

I am looking some information about skiing in the summer in Colorado. First of all, can anyone tell me what the snow on Peak 10 in breck is like currently? Also, if anybody can tell me about good summer snow patches for skiing it would be greatly appreciated.

nader

Re: Skiing in Summer Colorado

by nader » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:15 pm

A little late here, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I used to ski 120+ days every year in Colorado, thanks to summer skiing. There is plenty of great stuff there.

The best summer skiing can be found at the mountain passes. Park at the top, hike out on one of the ridges, jump the cornice, and drop in. At the bottom, hike out to the road, hitch-hike back to the top, and repeat.

Pikes Peak offers great summer skiing down a variety of steep and not-so-steep chutes. Again this involves hitch hiking. Sometimes you can tag along with groups who are running pick-up truck shuttles, where they take turns driving the bus.

Of course, A-Basin (THE LEGEND) sometimes has skiing well into July or even August in heavy snow years.

There is a guide to summer skiing in Colorado, and a guide right here on Summitpost:

https://www.summitpost.org/north-side-couloirs/189243

McCannster

by McCannster » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:13 pm

St Mary's Glacier can be skied well into the summer, but the quality of the run doesn't seem all that great.

Being called a glacier is a bit of a mis-nomer, it's a permanent snow field.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 am

Keep in mind that the snowpack is dismal this year in Colorado. Some areas are in near summer conditions now, or at least they were recently. This year won't be a good one for summer skiing.

seano

by seano » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:18 am

Some areas are in near summer conditions now, or at least they were recently.

More like late October or early November, but it is indeed pathetic. I was hoping to ski in Buckskin Gulch today, but instead went for a windy hike and didn't even really miss not having snowshoes. Sawatch and Sangres looked similarly dry, so it continues to be a good year to pad that "winter climbing" resume.

Return to Colorado