Need Lightweight Water Filter for Backpacking

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Woodswalker

Need Lightweight Water Filter for Backpacking

by Woodswalker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:05 pm

I want to upgrade my old dinosaur. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ExcitableBoy

Re: Need Lightweight Water Filter for Backpacking

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:17 pm

I have partner who uses the MSR HyperFlow Microfilter. Very light and fast: https://www.msrgear.com/water/hyperflow-microfilter. The pore size is 0.2 (0.45 is what microbiologists use to capture bacteria), so it is plenty small enough to filter out protozoa and bacteria. If you are planning on using this abroad, I would add a chlorine dioxide tablet or drops to deactivate virus particles.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Woodswalker

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:00 pm

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
Woodswalker

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 pm

What's your dinosaur and what about it would you like to improve?

My dinosaur is a Katadyn Hiker - similar to the MSR Hyperflow. MSR claims a much faster flow rate for theirs, but that's not enough for me to spend money on an upgrade. I usually pump a liter or two at a time, which takes me one or two minutes. Cutting that to ten or twenty seconds wouldn't improve my quality of hiking.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
Woodswalker

awilsondc

by awilsondc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:32 pm

I just got a Katadyn BeFree water filter. It's a squeeze filter like the sawyer, but WAY faster and the bag is soft rather than rigid. I used a sawyer last year which was great, super light weight and all, but it's flow is pretty slow and takes a lot of squeezing. I've used the BeFree twice in the field now and I love it. Certainly worth looking in to.

The following user would like to thank awilsondc for this post
LincolnB, Woodswalker

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:38 pm

nartreb wrote:What's your dinosaur and what about it would you like to improve?

My dinosaur is a Katadyn Hiker - similar to the MSR Hyperflow. MSR claims a much faster flow rate for theirs, but that's not enough for me to spend money on an upgrade. I usually pump a liter or two at a time, which takes me one or two minutes. Cutting that to ten or twenty seconds wouldn't improve my quality of hiking.

I have an old MSR. I believe the model name is "airspring accumulator." It works fine and has served me well. I'm looking for something ultralight. I'm not worried about saving 20 seconds in the backcountry, LOL.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Woodswalker wrote:I'm looking for something ultralight

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF0 ... B006QF3TW4

http://lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw/

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
Woodswalker

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 pm

I want to hear some real world reviews on the MSR TrailShot. You should buy one!

https://www.msrgear.com/water/trailshot

The following user would like to thank jdzaharia for this post
Woodswalker

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 pm

I don't use one. It's the lightest option I've found.

Makes it so you are less likely to carry the water as well so it saves more than just a few ounces.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Woodswalker

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 am

mrchad9 wrote:I don't use one. It's the lightest option I've found.

Makes it so you are less likely to carry the water as well so it saves more than just a few ounces.

You are quite a rare American. The rest are minions, so if they say don't drink the awesomely fresh clean cold superiorly filtered water that basically flows straight out of the mountain because it will make you sick, then they are not going to drink it.

The lightest weight option is the tablets btw.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:11 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:I have partner who uses the MSR HyperFlow Microfilter. Very light and fast: https://www.msrgear.com/water/hyperflow-microfilter. The pore size is 0.2 (0.45 is what microbiologists use to capture bacteria), so it is plenty small enough to filter out protozoa and bacteria. If you are planning on using this abroad, I would add a chlorine dioxide tablet or drops to deactivate virus particles.

Lol, If you travel overseas the water is likely to get better, you will find that most bar the odd few mountainous regions on the planet are in a far more pristine condition than the USA regions.

Giardia isn't something to fear, I have had it. If it is your time to get it you will get it. Most likely from some place like at home or from bottled water, because unless you have some sort of mega weakness in your immune system or are a little light headed and get water from a swamp or some other no Brainer place then you will be fine.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:Giardia isn't something to fear, I have had it. If it is your time to get it you will get it. Most likely from some place like at home or from bottled water, because unless you have some sort of mega weakness in your immune system or are a little light headed and get water from a swamp or some other no Brainer place then you will be fine.

LOL, I'm the last person you need to lecture about Giardia spp. I did my graduate research and dissertation on waterborne pathogens, including Giardia spp., one of only three researchers in the U.S. pursuing that line of research at the time. I worked as a water quality scientist at a pioneering laboratories and agencies in water quality in the United States.

I mention chlorine dioxide specifically for virus particles. Protozoans are large and easy to filter out. The one time I became ill from drinking untreated water was due to a virus. Giardia is all but non existent in municipal drinking water supplies in the U.S., bottled water ditto. Bacteria are a big concern in bottled water, however.
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:I don't use one. It's the lightest option I've found.

You are quite a rare American. The rest are minions, so if they say don't drink the awesomely fresh clean cold superiorly filtered water that basically flows straight out of the mountain because it will make you sick, then they are not going to drink it.

The lightest weight option is the tablets btw.

This is true... people do not think for themselves. I have encountered people filtering water that literally is coming from a spring right out of the ground. Better safe than sorry he said. I told him to filter what comes out of the faucet then because that has more bacteria than whatever was coming out of that mountain. He eventually got tired and stopped filtering.

Yes tablets lightest. If I am in an area with cows I have taken tablets and they work fine and weigh nothing.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 pm

FWIW, I am very careful about where I get my water. If it is literally melting off a snow bank, then I do not disinfect it. Streams, lakes, etc., I use chlorine dioxide tablets. The ONE time I became sick was when I was drinking snow melt that had collected in a small rock basin. It had just snowed, then melted, so it had to be fine so I thought, so I did not treat it. As I drank, I looked over and then saw mice bathing in the water. I was sick for months, had every test done and the doc concluded it was some kind of virus.

Norman

by Norman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Steripen

Next

Return to Gear