Seirra Nevada Expeditions (Ecuador) still the best?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
ChrisP

Seirra Nevada Expeditions (Ecuador) still the best?

by ChrisP » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:17 pm

My sister and I are pllanning a Trip to Ecuador. We have minimal mountaineering experience but lots of hiking and canoeing experience. My understanding is that Ecuador has some of the less technical mountains so it's a good place to get started.

We're looking for a guide. So far everything has pointed to Seirra Nevada Expeditions being really good (and substantially cheaper than some of the companies with more online reviews). However, all the info I can find recommending them is a few years old (in some cases 10ish years old). Before we book with them I just wanted to make sure that they're still getting good reviews and that I wouldn't be better off going with someone else.

no avatar
tomas

Re: Seirra Nevada Expeditions (Ecuador) still the best?

by tomas » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi Chris,

I don't know Sierra Nevada Expeditions, but I strongly recommend you to check a couple options with Edgar: http://bit.ly/2kB3Q4i.

He is an ASEGUIM guide, and has a very well organised company offering all kind of hiking and mountaineering tours, close to Quito.

Good luck in Ecuador, it's a beautiful country!

no avatar
xiainx

by xiainx » Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 am

Hello Chris,
I climbed Cayambe (and a few other peaks) last december with Estalin from Sierra Nevada. We had a great experience, Estalin was a fantastic guide, and everything was very well organized. I would definitely recommend using them. I believe Estalin also started doing some guiding for his own guide company: Andengipfel Reisen. I am not sure if they are looking for new clients already or not, but if you can find some information about that, they would be a good option too.

no avatar
Andrew Dressel

by Andrew Dressel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Hello Chris,

I just climbed Guagua Pichincha with Freddy from Sierra Nevada Expeditions, on July 21, 2017, and I had a great time. I also have minimal mountaineering experience, and so I appreciated how Freddy took the time to hear what I had done and worked with me to plan a trip that would be safe and challenging. My only regret is that I was not able to fit in another climb, despite Freddy's best efforts, while in Quito.

Andrew

Return to South America