Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Simkin

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

by Simkin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:Who Daria? She is a pathological liar. You wouldn't know what is true unless you are actually with her. She herself has claimed to have climbed peaks that she has not climbed.

That was before she read "Live not by lies."

Yank-Tank wrote:As for me, I don't need to lie. You will see my name in the summit registers.

Not a proof of free solo.

Yank-Tank wrote:But you, you are a crazily bad climber, you must really not like your family if you risk all that just to climb those silly lines that nobody cares about.

You do not free climb not because you care for your family, but because you are afraid.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:13 pm

I only climb in Winter, it is winter now but the Avalanche danger has been too high, I don't climb in summer because I end up free soloing dangerous routes, far more dangerous than crystal crag. I have lost a lot of good friends in the Mountains. In summer I just hike, like 50 mile hikes in a day, have you done that yet?

You come back and tell me how great freesoloing is when you lose a good friend to it.

Also, I climb in the Alps, it is not a place for beginners like the East Sierra is. Go freesolo some thing big in the Alps and then come back and tell me how fun it is and how good you are.

Everything you climb gets soloed on a daily basis, go climb something that doesn't.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:14 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Why would you drag a pack?

Cause he can not climb very well. Check his videos out.

Simkin

by Simkin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 pm

powderjunkie wrote:Feel free to gopro your solos and use gloves

Thank you for your kind permission.

powderjunkie wrote: It can become stuck, can pull you off the rock and can drop rocks down on other climbers.

And I too have some revelation for you: 2+2=4.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 am

Simkin wrote:
powderjunkie wrote:Feel free to gopro your solos and use gloves

Thank you for your kind permission.

powderjunkie wrote: It can become stuck, can pull you off the rock and can drop rocks down on other climbers.

And I too have some revelation for you: 2+2=4.

^^^^^ hard man soloist.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:Yip, that's Daria. I have roped her up many a 4th class section. It is pretty much like ropless climbing, you look down some times and she is looking some place else taking photographs with no hands on the rope.

This is the funniest post I have read on SP in a long time. The mental image I conjure is priceless-- Matt throwing for a high jug on some overhanging 5.9 pitch as Daria drops the rope and crouches to photograph a butterfly on a wildflower. :lol: :(
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Simkin

by Simkin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:I only climb in Winter, it is winter now but the Avalanche danger has been too high, I don't climb in summer because I end up free soloing dangerous routes, far more dangerous than crystal crag. I have lost a lot of good friends in the Mountains. In summer I just hike, like 50 mile hikes in a day, have you done that yet?

You come back and tell me how great freesoloing is when you lose a good friend to it.

Also, I climb in the Alps, it is not a place for beginners like the East Sierra is. Go freesolo some thing big in the Alps and then come back and tell me how fun it is and how good you are.

Everything you climb gets soloed on a daily basis, go climb something that doesn't.

And who is a pathological liar?

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:57 am

Simkin wrote:
Yank-Tank wrote:I only climb in Winter, it is winter now but the Avalanche danger has been too high, I don't climb in summer because I end up free soloing dangerous routes, far more dangerous than crystal crag. I have lost a lot of good friends in the Mountains. In summer I just hike, like 50 mile hikes in a day, have you done that yet?

And who is a pathological liar?

I can't believe that I get to chat to a YouTube sensation like yourself.

The following user would like to thank Yank-Tank for this post
Bob Sihler

Simkin

by Simkin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:44 pm

In another thread I wrote that free climbers don't wear helmets.

Another thing they don't do is attacking one man in a pack. They are themselves attacked by packs. In this film a wingsuiter (not exactly a climber but similar in spirit extremist) Corliss tells how they did it to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdqMgMKI0s

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:27 am

Simkin wrote:In another thread I wrote that free climbers don't wear helmets.

Another thing they don't do is attacking one man in a pack. They are themselves attacked by packs. In this film a wingsuiter (not exactly a climber but similar in spirit extremist) Corliss tells how they did it to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdqMgMKI0s

Freesoloing has always been frowned apon. We want you to stay alive and that is why everybody tells you that dragging that rope around makes it super risky. It makes me shiver just thinking about having a rope dangling around my feet when I am trying not to fall off. I am not a big fan of ropes these days, but then again, I never was hardcore.

Simkin

by Simkin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 pm

You just can't chimney with it on your back. It is also easier to climb without it. Ever free-soloed a 5.6 with a backpack?

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Simkin wrote:

You just can't chimney with it on your back. It is also easier to climb without it. Ever free-soloed a 5.6 with a backpack?

We all have you egg, and having a bag on doesn't really even effect you climbing in chimney unless it is long and sustained, and then you take it off because it destroys your bag.

BTW, where are all these chimneys you are climbing? The ones on the routes you do are tiny.

If you can't climb with a bag on you may as well go home. Is that why all you do is solo basic routes, because nobody can be bothered dealing with you?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:11 pm

Simkin wrote:

No I am not on YouTube so there would be no point.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Bob Sihler

Simkin

by Simkin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:11 am

Yank-Tank wrote:Freesoloing has always been frowned apon.

So you did not do it after all.

Yank-Tank wrote:We want you to stay alive

Recall how tried to hitchhike and watched hundreds of cars passing by. An here suddenly so many do-gooders.

Yank-Tank wrote: It makes me shiver just thinking

Do you get sweaty palms as well?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:29 am

Hey everyone, today I was climbing and at the car afterward realized I left my cell phone at the crag, so I had to hike back down to get it. Then, feeling too lazy to hike back up, I soloed a 5.6 to get up faster.

No helmet, no pack, and in Chacos. Well, I didn't use gloves, so that probably lowered it to 5.2 or something. But I'm still very, very awesome.

Send me your addresses and I'll send you my autograph. I mean, I am pretty serious stuff now.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander