Rude welcome

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
no avatar
PurrePop

Rude welcome

by PurrePop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 am

Hi,

After seeing that there were plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, I registered to post a question about a trip I'm planning to Mexico. I should mention that I've been on numerous forums like this over the years and have moderated a couple myself.

After registration, which took a day due to the requirement for moderator approval, I tried to post my question. It took another half a day for the post to be approved by moderater, which is apparently also required. At that time, I realized that that the forum software had shortened my original, long-ish post title. This looked a bit stupid, and so, being a bit of a perfectionist, I decided to correct it quickly, shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Well, apparently even that minor rectification required moderator approval.

Some hours ago, I received this e-mail:

Hello PurrePop,

You are receiving this notification because your topic “Citlaltepetl/Orizaba – Schedule, outfitters, partners” at “SummitPost.org” was disapproved by a moderator or administrator.

The following reason was given for the disapproval:

The message contains links to illegal or pirated software.

I've already approved this shit.

— Thanks, SummitPost.org

Well, yeah, you approved this shit, but if you make a requirement of approving even minor edits, that's how it'll be. No need to be rude about it, and please don't disapprove my post simply for using a standard function of the forum software in a way that would be considered non-problematic on any other forum. I appreciate that being a (volunteer?) moderator takes time and effort - I've done it myself - but it costs almost nothing to be civil about.

I'm new here, but I did read a good bit around the forums before posting. People seemed to be nice and helpful. Did I misunderstand, or was this moderator an aberration from the norm, or just having a bad day?

The following user would like to thank PurrePop for this post
Wasatch Summits

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Rude welcome

by Scott » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Weird. I am not sure what's going on here. I am a moderator. Is there anyway you can screenshot me the message? I will look into this.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
PurrePop

no avatar
PurrePop

by PurrePop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Took this screenshot just now. Mail recieved September 13 at 03:39 local time (CEST (GMT+2)).

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 am

PurrePop wrote:Hi,

After seeing that there were plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, I registered to post a question about a trip I'm planning to Mexico. I should mention that I've been on numerous forums like this over the years and have moderated a couple myself.

After registration, which took a day due to the requirement for moderator approval, I tried to post my question. It took another half a day for the post to be approved by moderater, which is apparently also required. At that time, I realized that that the forum software had shortened my original, long-ish post title. This looked a bit stupid, and so, being a bit of a perfectionist, I decided to correct it quickly, shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Well, apparently even that minor rectification required moderator approval.

Some hours ago, I received this e-mail:

Hello PurrePop,

You are receiving this notification because your topic “Citlaltepetl/Orizaba – Schedule, outfitters, partners” at “SummitPost.org” was disapproved by a moderator or administrator.

The following reason was given for the disapproval:

The message contains links to illegal or pirated software.

I've already approved this shit.

— Thanks, SummitPost.org

Well, yeah, you approved this shit, but if you make a requirement of approving even minor edits, that's how it'll be. No need to be rude about it, and please don't disapprove my post simply for using a standard function of the forum software in a way that would be considered non-problematic on any other forum. I appreciate that being a (volunteer?) moderator takes time and effort - I've done it myself - but it costs almost nothing to be civil about.

I'm new here, but I did read a good bit around the forums before posting. People seemed to be nice and helpful. Did I misunderstand, or was this moderator an aberration from the norm, or just having a bad day?

I can tell you that this person was likely having a bad day or something out of the norm. I agree that people on here for the most part are nice and respectful. It takes tons of time and effort sharing our passions here. The last thing the site needs is for a contributing member to feel uncomfortable helping out the site. And welcome! Look forward to seeing more! I've been looking at this info for a while now and hope you can bring more... wanna get there!

The following user would like to thank Wasatch Summits for this post
GlacierCountry, PurrePop, Stu Brandel

no avatar
PurrePop

by PurrePop » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Well, there's not much more I can provide as to this particular case, the screenshot above is the e-mail received as it appeared in inbox, that's all I have.

Was wondering whether my original, rejected post might be re-approved, but I suppose not, so I'll go re-post it now :)

Return to Site Feedback