Kilimanjaro Solo

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Cosmo1111

Kilimanjaro Solo

by Cosmo1111 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:53 pm

I have read a lot of different infomation about climbing Kilimanjaro. Some say you have to climb it with a porter/guide, some say you can climb it without. I have climbed a few major peaks without a guide and would love to climb Kilimanjaro solo. Is this possible?
Thank you

WouterB

Re: Kilimanjaro Solo

by WouterB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:52 am

It is possible. You would just have to find a way of getting in to the park unseen and not camp in the provided camps as rangers usually come and check everyone's permit in the evening. However, if you shop around a bit, you'll no doubt find a company that offers a tour in your price range. There's no need to take porters and the cost of taking just a guide is really low!

Ps: Next time you might want to post this in the Africa forum. You'll get more responses there.

no avatar
pygmalion

by pygmalion » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:42 pm

To go without a porter doesn't seem to be a problem. Many agencies will allow it (such as Adventure Kenya Safaris and other smaller companies).
I hope to do Kili and Mt. Kenya with them this summer and they seem a great outfit. To climb Kili entirely alone is probably possible, but do realize it's against Tanzanian law. Good luck!
"Mountains are earth's undecaying monuments."
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)

no avatar
edouardklein

by edouardklein » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:38 am

This post is old, but the question is still relevant and hard to answer online. Short answer as of 2014 is : You can't do it solo short of breaking the law, but you can minimize cost and number of uninvited people in your party by arranging things in Moshi with a local agency.

I have written a comprehensive guide, with a step by step on how to climb legally,without too much hassle :
http://rdklein.fr/essays/kilimanjaro.html

I welcome any comments about it.

no avatar
lukeit

by lukeit » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Return to Africa