Climbing above 7000 meters in the Karakoram

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Hvidtfeldt

Climbing above 7000 meters in the Karakoram

by Hvidtfeldt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Does anyone know of any 7000 meter peaks in the Karakoram that would be possible to achievable without too much technical climbing?

My next step up in altitude is a 7000 meter peak, and at the same time i'm dreaming of seeing the Karakoram giants in person. Any ideas for a realistic peak in this region?

I've been looking at Spantik for a start, but it's about 150 km away from the mountains I'd like to see...

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Climbing above 7000 meters in the Karakoram

by Scott » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Spantik is the easiest 7000 meter peak in the Karakoram.
Are you looking to see the 8000 meter peaks/K2 area? If so, l believe that all of the 7000 meter peaks in that area are technical. Some 5000 and 6000 meter peaks aren't that technical.

Hvidtfeldt

by Hvidtfeldt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Thankts for the reply! Yeah K2 and the other 8000 meter peaks are the ones I'd like to see.

Yeah I've looked at Kharut Pyramid (6444 m), which while it seems doable wouldn't be a step up in altitude for me. High altitude mountaineering is my interest though... Anyways, any other ideas for 7000 meter peaks in the Karakoram besides Spantik at all?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:55 am

Anyways, any other ideas for 7000 meter peaks in the Karakoram besides Spantik at all?

In the K2 region I don't think there are any 7000 meter peaks that qualify as achievable without too much technical climbing. In the Karakoram Spantik is likely your best bet. You could trek to K2 basecamp, return, and then head to Spantik. Or perhaps further afield something like Muztag Ata or Lenin Peak on the same or different trip. The K2 region really isn't a good place to look for 7000 peaks with little or no technical difficulty.

Maybe PM/email BigLee or Damien. They could probably answer the question better than anyone else on this website.

BigLee

by BigLee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:54 pm

What kind of trip are you looking for? Guided, or wanting support above base camp? Are you looking to join a fixed date trip, or looking to organise something with existing partners?

If you are after any of guided or fixed departure trip then then Spantik is your only option. I've not climbed it but I doubt you'll be disappointed with the scenery. A lot of the Karakoram 7000m peaks are just as impressive as the 8000ers.

Even if you're looking to organise something independently then Spantik might still be best option. A lot of the 7000m peaks in the Karakoram haven't been climbed in decades. There's probably some non-technical possibilities but you're probably going to be relying on some old school journal reports, and given glaciers and seracs change, I doubt you'll be able to guarantee a non-technical ascent.

If you're looking at a relatively non-technical peak in the vicinity of K2 then GII is the popular choice, although that's obviously an 8000m peak.

The following user would like to thank BigLee for this post
Scott

Hvidtfeldt

by Hvidtfeldt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:35 pm

All right thanks a lot for the replies!

GII is one of my ultimate goals, and I'm looking for a way to get there. Looks like Spantik might be a good stepping stone!

Return to General