More Ads Lately?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Stu Brandel

More Ads Lately?

by Stu Brandel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:18 am

The auto play pop up ads are less frequent, it seems, and they wait a few seconds before becoming audible so you have a chance to close them. But now I am getting saturated with static ads all over summitpost: above, on the sides, in between features, and below. This is even though my profile says 'minimal ads'. Did a decision get made to allow more ads or has something changed? Any one else noticing this?

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
EricChu

Matt Lemke

Re: More Ads Lately?

by Matt Lemke » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 am

I see tons of ads!!! Even when I am logged in. Please for the sake of all that is real Matt Miller suck it up and quit making SP a money grab. Get rid of these ads!!

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
96avs01, brichardsson, EricChu, gimpilator, Lodewijk, Marcsoltan, MarkDidier, Old School WB, Woodie Hopper, yatsek

Jow

by Jow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 am

On mobile nope. On my desktop at work good lord so many ads it’s crazy.

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 am

Recently I've been getting these huge adds that expand the page, forcing me to scroll left and right to view content on the SP home page.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Still no problems here. Apparently my ad blocker is doing a fine job; I'm keeping it as long as it takes for the advertisers to start behaving themselves.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Actually, no ads have been added to the site. Each page has the same number of ads they've always had. We just turned over ad management to a new company and they move the ads around on the page to optimize revenue but have added no additional ones.

It's more of a test than anything at this point because we're nearing completion of the responsive theme and that should go live before the end of the year. At that point, the entire layout of the site will change (including ad layout) so that SummitPost is mobile-friendly.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Kiefer

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:08 pm

I know there are various products to block ads, my Chromebook I just got rid of had a poor program that didn't work well. My Lenovo with it's operating system uses "AdBlock", I get zero pop-ups.
https://adblockplus.org/

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I've noticed the same thing. And there's this stupid ad that creeps in from the bottom right & stays for a few seconds before I can KILL IT.
I get SP needs some revenue to make hosting fees and since no one here pays an annual due, we really don't have a choice.
But please, get rid of the new hosting site. If anything, all these new placements & formats? make me want to use SP less.
And I just came back!

Old School WB

by Old School WB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm

The new extra ads do mess format of pages. I am to referring my older pages for details and info as I am adding new photos for a new Mountain page. Looking at them, format, including interruption of table cells, is messed up by ads. Appears at each section break, new paragraphs or tables, an ad pops in. WAY MORE ADS THEN BEFORE !!

Disappointing.
Last edited by Old School WB on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Old School WB for this post
Lodewijk, Marcsoltan, Stu Brandel, yatsek

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:59 am

The 'Minimal Ads' setting in the User Profile does not seem to give any benefits versus the 'Normal Ads' setting. Both have the same vast intrusion of ads in the Front page and a few of the pages I checked.

Does the new marketing program recognize the 'Minimal Ads' Profile setting?

The large increase in ads is very distracting, and detracts a great deal from what was a beautiful site.

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
EricChu, selinunte01

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 pm

I'd rather pay a membership fee than have to deal with this.

The following user would like to thank yatsek for this post
brichardsson, chugach mtn boy, Kiefer, Old School WB

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 am

Also, has anyone noticed the pages not formatting correctly to the screen? Whether I'm logged in or not, now a scroll bar appears on the bottom. It wasn't like that before the new Ad campaign. Is this poor formatting on part of the Ad (hosting) company?

The following user would like to thank Kiefer for this post
Woodswalker

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 pm

And so another thing I just noticed. These fu*king ads are popping up in the middle of peoples' pages, screwing up the formatting and inserting unnecessary breaks that look odd and make reading almost stop-gap. I need to make a lot of updates to my pages and the breaks are screwing things up.
It seems this company is just putting their shit anywhere they feel.
If SP really is hurting for money, then make the site a fee-site for something nominal. It's starting to come across as any other cookie-cutter, advertisment-ladden Google site.

The following user would like to thank Kiefer for this post
jfrishmanIII, Lodewijk, MarkDidier, Old School WB, selinunte01, Stu Brandel, yatsek

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:02 pm

I wouldn't pay money to click on this site.

nader

by nader » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:52 pm

As others have mentioned, I too see that ads are throwing off the format of many pages making them annoying to read.

Next

Return to Site Feedback