Missing AT hiker in Maine

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
nartreb

Re: Missing AT hiker in Maine

by nartreb » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:34 pm

I think you missed my second sentence. I don't believe she died while the search was going on, and I doubt the medical examiner believes that either. I think whatever happened to her, happened within 24 hours. I think you also missed my second paragraph. "Inanition" is a misleading label.

"Inanition" shows up on death certificates when the cause of death is unknown, for example when a newborn dies within minutes. Nobody actually believes that newborns can die of dehydration or starvation immediately after birth.

Examiners in Maine are supposed to follow CDC guidelines for labeling cause of death, which leads me to the IDC-10 codes for classifying cause of death. "Inanition" does not appear on the list, but the CDC website search function finds it mentioned in the description of both X53 Lack of Food, and X54 Lack of Water.

("X54 Lack of Water Includes: lack of water as the cause of: - dehydration - inanition ; Excludes: neglect or abandonment")

The codes are organized into a hierarchy. X53 and x54 fall under "Overexertion, travel and privation" (X50 through X57). That's a reasonable category, but to illustrate the examiner's dilemma, hypothermia is X31, in the "Forces of Nature" group. There's nothing remotely close to "death while camping, unspecified natural causes". I can't see anything the examiner could have picked that would have satisfied you.

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:55 pm

Lots of words simply intended to obfuscate the issue.

Why do you "believe" she died within the first 24 hours? And do you even know what SERE is all about?
“Twitter is not real life.” - Dave Rubin

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:28 pm

Sorry, what do you think is "the issue"?

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:15 am

I'm thinking statistics.

I'm thinking here you have the nation's most popular hiking trail operating side-by-side for decades on end in this one specific spot where an unfenced Navy torture school operates. A place where thousands of hikers pass each year without incident bordering a place where US Military personnel actually PRACTICE kidnapping and escaping from one another. A place where both you and I have been been without incident. But a dangerous place with no fence.

Over the course of decades, what do you think the chances of one single unfortunate hiker meeting up with one SERE participant who thinks that hiker is part of the game? And what do you think the US military would do if that one person happened to die after being unwittingly drawn into the exercise?

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Thu May 26, 2016 1:39 am

Well, SHOCKING new information basically kills my SERE kidnap theory and reveals that Largay survived for WEEKS while the massive SAR effort went on all around her. She apparently made numerous attempts to text her husband (no service) and kept a journal. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The last entry in her journal is dated August 18th, 2013 ... 26 days after she went missing. Stunning.

A hiker who died after going off the Appalachian Trail in 2013 in western Maine survived for weeks and kept a journal, the Maine Warden Service believes.

Geraldine Largay, 66, was reported missing on July 23, 2013. The game warden service on Wednesday released its file on her mysterious disappearance, which prompted one of the largest searches in the service’s history.

A note dated Aug. 6 on a torn-out journal page said, “When you find my body, please call my husband George and my daughter Kerry. It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me -- no matter how many years from now. Please find it in your heart to mail the contents of this bag to one of them.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/05/25/hiker-who-died-after-disappearing-from-appalachian-trail-survived-for-weeks/KAcHuKSdYVHNTNu0qQobvK/story.html

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 pm

It's interesting that this is gathering much more media attention now, nearly 3 years after her disappearance. Front page of CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/missin ... index.html

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Fri May 27, 2016 2:49 pm

^^^^^

Yeah, this incident we've all now been yapping about on regional hiker boards for three years just went big time.

No more or less tragic than it's been from the start, but this new information is the kind of stuff that makes for best-selling books and movies.

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:27 pm

In-depth story from the Boston Globe Magazine on the events surrounding the discovery of Geraldine Largay as well as what was learned from the journal she kept ...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2016/08/24/when-you-find-body-the-last-days-hiker-gerry-largay/DcaZf6RcojOTN2LNsOXm0K/story.html?s_campaign=bdcglobewell_B

The following user would like to thank Puma concolor for this post
adventurer, John Duffield, Stu Brandel, Yury

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:40 pm

In depth news video report:

“A trip to hiker Geraldine Largay’s final campsite” ...

http://www.wcsh6.com/entertainment/television/bill-greens-maine/a-trip-to-hiker-geraldine-largays-final-campsite/492863159

Also talks about a forthcoming book: “When You Find My Body.”

The following user would like to thank Puma concolor for this post
John Duffield, Stu Brandel

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)