Dispersed Camping in Texas?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Michele

Dispersed Camping in Texas?

by Michele » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 am

I am currently living in Dallas and need some time away from all this concrete, people, and flatland. I am hoping to find a good spot to stay in the Sportsmobile for a few days that is not in a campground and just spend some time in nature. I have searched online and did not find anything. If there is any dispersed camping here in Texas, your recommendations would be more than greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Michele on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Dispersed Camping in Texas?

by Scott » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 am

I don't think there is any dispersed camping in Texas. You may have to go to a campground.

Michele

by Michele » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:24 am

I suspected that may be the case. Do you know if there any good campgrounds in natural areas that are nice and not filled with RVs and such? I was considering going to Palo Duro canyon right after Christmas, but am not familiar with the camping there and wouldn't want to drive 6 hours to find it packed and noisy.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm

There is at least some dispersed camping allowed in the National Forests in Texas. Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine, and Sam Houston. Look at the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for each forest.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park doesn't have dispersed camping, but the campgrounds should be quiet that time of year. Even if it is busy, you can find lots of solitude in Palo Duro Canyon. I would contact the park regarding any campground closures they may have.

Big Bend Ranch State Park maybe doesn't technically have dispersed camping, but if you have a suitable 4wd, I bet you can get pretty "dispersed."

Michele

by Michele » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:33 pm

That information helps a great deal. Thank you!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:43 pm

I camped in Palo Duro Canyon many years ago in early December. It was a drive-in campground, but pretty much deserted with a LOT of solitude. I can't say how things have changed over the years, but I'm sure you could call up or e-mail the park office and ask what sort of traffic they get in December. I really enjoyed my time there.

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
Michele

McCannster

by McCannster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Rita Blanca National Grassland in the panhandle.

Michele

by Michele » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 am

Thank you all for those recommendations. That helps point me in some directions. I have settled on Palo Duro canyon this time out and will look into those other areas in the future. I need all the ideas I can get while living in this part of the country!

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:17 am

McCannster wrote:Rita Blanca National Grassland in the panhandle.

It appears dispersed camping is not actually allowed in the Rita Blanca, or any of the other National Grasslands in Texas. Seems silly. Normally, I'd say go for it and nobody would question you. But, with the lack of rain lately, the ranchers are pretty on-edge about people driving around with the potential to inadvertently start a grass fire.

Michele wrote:I have settled on Palo Duro canyon this time out

I'm not sure if you care, but the daytime high was about 16F today in Palo Duro Canyon. Solitude for certain.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)