Denali Kit - Your Advice Pls

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Froth Dog

Denali Kit - Your Advice Pls

by Froth Dog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi all, grateful for any advice / insight for an upcoming trip to Alaska.

I'm getting my kit ready for a guided Denali expedition June/July next year and am looking to anyone who has spent time on Denali to provide some advice pls.

For context, I'd like to buy kit that I could also take to Himalaya for some higher mountains (8,000m) to save $$ and space in my small apartment!

Sleeping Bags
I think I need a -25F / -32C bag and am considering the Feathered Friends Peregrine EX -25, RAB Expedition 1000 or Mountain Equipment I'll be using a closed cell pad and an Exped UL Downmat 7

Pack
I have a Gregory Balroro 65 and love the comfort so thinking about the Gregory Denali 100 for Denali. Alternatively Osprey Xenith 105. Any views on either or alternatives?

Goggles
Any suggestions?

Power
I like to make short movies of climbs (link to my SW Ridge of Mt Aspiring movie below). In NZ I just take spare batteries. On Denali I will need charging system. Anyone used Anker PowerPort 21W?

Boots
LS Oly Mons

Cheers
Froth Dog

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Denali Kit - Your Advice Pls

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Sleeping Bag
For June/July on Denali, either of those sleeping bags should be adequate. I have a FF bag and I love it. Himalayas? I'd go -35F or -40F. I've seen -35F on Denali in May.

Pack
Go as light as possible, but sturdy enough that you don't have to worry about failures.

Goggles
Goggles? What ever fits your face and over your sunglasses.

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
Froth Dog

ExcitableBoy

Re: Denali Kit - Your Advice Pls

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 pm

I can't make any comments regarding the Himalaya, but I'll tell you what worked well and was light on Denali from mid May to early Jun.e

Froth Dog wrote:Sleeping Bags
I think I need a -25F / -32C bag and am considering the Feathered Friends Peregrine EX -25, RAB Expedition 1000 or Mountain Equipment I'll be using a closed cell pad and an Exped UL Downmat 7

I went with a Feathered Friends Widgeon (-10F) with 2oz overfill bringing it down to perhaps -15. FF bags are conservatively rated and it kept me warm down to -30F at high camp. I used a single winter weight yellow Evazotte closed cell pad. The pad was cheap, and light, and warm, but pretty bulky. If I were to go back I would take a thin, full length Evazotte and a 3/4 Neoair. The boutique bags (Western Mountaineering, Feathered) are going to be warmer than similarly rated big box brands.

Froth Dog wrote:Pack
I have a Gregory Balroro 65 and love the comfort so thinking about the Gregory Denali 100 for Denali. Alternatively Osprey Xenith 105. Any views on either or alternatives?

I used a custom McHale SARC, approximately 70 liters or so. It was an ideal size. I never carried more than 50 pounds on my back, and typically more like 45. We pulled sleds the first two days to 11k then made double carried to 14k and 17k. This worked well as hauling sleds around Windy Corner would be challenging, and it fit well into our acclimatization schedule.

My point is you really do not need a 100 liter pack. I will say that after using big frameless packs like the WT Andinista and CCW Chaos, I would definitely look for something with a frame sheet and/or vertical stays. Take a look at the bigger CRUX packs (AK 70). I have a CRUX AX 50 and it is a thing of beauty.

Froth Dog wrote:Goggles
Any suggestions?

Uvex Pocket googles if you can find them, hands down. They are low profile and fold for easy storage. I would also look at Panoptyx sunglasses which are a goggle like sunglass favored by morocycle riders. That could obviate the need for both glacier glasses and googles, although when I tried them they did not fit my face well. They have models that adjust to the brightness, although they may not get dark enough.

Froth Dog wrote:Boots
LS Oly Mons

If the boot fits, wear it. My feet are too wide for LS now, but you can't go wrong.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Froth Dog

Return to Gear