beginner needing help

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Zikkan

beginner needing help

by Zikkan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello, I am just a normal person with barely any experience in mountain hiking and normally fit don't really do much exercise at all but i do like hiking but extremely rarely have any chances to do so since sweden doesn't have much mountains and i also started getting into hiking only 2 years ago.
I have a number of questions that i would like to find an answer to.
1: i wanna know which are 3 highest mountains that is not much problem for a beginner in other words just walking in steep slopes pretty much not climbing. i really wanna get over 5000m
2: any easy 4000m peaks i can start building exp?
3: is kilimanjaro really as easy as i have heard or is it actually hard?
4: is it possible to get above 6000m with just hiking and no special boots or pickaxe or what those things are called?
5: do anyone know if it is allowed to camp at mountains in japan without any permission, i would like to go to japan and just start at a mountain and keep hiking for like 10 days but im not sure if it is allowed.

my only experience with hiking was in japan, Mt kitadake (3,193m) which me and 2 friends thought was no problem to do on a 1 day trip, turns out we were wrong... we started 07 and got down to a mountain hut at 23 and only the next morning were we able to get down to our car. everyone we meet said we should stop and not continue but looking at the time it took to ascend we thougth it would be easy getting down before dark but it got dark at 18 and we got lost and only followed the sound of a river which was extremely fortunate that we could hear considering we didn't have enough water or food so all three of us was hungry, dehydrated and lost in the dark at 2000+m. so now i wanna go back and try it again but properly prepared.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: beginner needing help

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Zikkan wrote:1: i wanna know which are 3 highest mountains that is not much problem for a beginner in other words just walking in steep slopes pretty much not climbing. i really wanna get over 5000m

There are thousands of mountains that meet your criteria. If you really want some advice, then you'll need to narrow your criteria quite a bit more (i.e., which continent? Which country? etc.)

Zikkan wrote:2: any easy 4000m peaks i can start building exp?

Yes

Zikkan wrote:3: is kilimanjaro really as easy as i have heard or is it actually hard?

Define what you mean by "easy" and "hard," and then we can answer your question.

Zikkan wrote:4: is it possible to get above 6000m with just hiking and no special boots or pickaxe or what those things are called?

Yes. But that's like wanting to be a race car driver and not being interested in how an engine works. You are destined to FAIL.

Zikkan wrote:5: do anyone know if it is allowed to camp at mountains in japan without any permission

I have been camping in the mountains of Japan and didn't ask permission. By the way, it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes, there's several pieces of the puzzle missing here.

(1) How far are you willing to travel to access peaks ?
(2) Is your goal to become funded by a commercial enterprise?
(3) Do you have sufficient resources to travel independently?
(4) Can you adapt easily to harsh and changing conditions in the weather?

What's your perception of peaks? As time goes on, you're be able to build experience based upon your personal goals.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
Zikkan

by Zikkan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 pm

lcarreau wrote:Yes, there's several pieces of the puzzle missing here.

(1) How far are you willing to travel to access peaks ?
(2) Is your goal to become funded by a commercial enterprise?
(3) Do you have sufficient resources to travel independently?
(4) Can you adapt easily to harsh and changing conditions in the weather?

What's your perception of peaks? As time goes on, you're be able to build experience based upon your personal goals.

1) i live in sweden so as close as possible would be nice but i have considered going to afrika and usa as well, i just want to have a few good options to choose from. if you have any top 10 easy mountains that are 4000m that would be great.
2) can you get funded just to climb 4000m? if i can get funded then why not but i didn't have any thoughts of it until now but i do work in a company that has funded trips to the peak of Mt.everest.
3)if you mean money than i will save if it is expensive but if you mean tent and other things i were planing to hire a guide if it was several nights needed for the trip but if it is just 1-2 nights and an easy mountain then i should be able to do it by myself.
4) have no experience in that so i don't really know so i understand that attempting 6000 is not very wise which is why i was thinking of trying a few 4k's and then try some 5k's to finally make it to 6.

no avatar
Zikkan

by Zikkan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Zikkan wrote:5: do anyone know if it is allowed to camp at mountains in japan without any permission

I have been camping in the mountains of Japan and didn't ask permission. By the way, it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.[/quote]

where were you camping? how many days did you spend in the mountains? were there a lot of mountain huts where they sell stuff? i wanna know how i should pack, with water and food and such. if you dont mind i would like to have as much details as you can give from your trip

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:11 am

You might start with the mountains of Sweden and Norway - not very high but good places to get experience. Maybe Galdhopiggen in Norway, highest in Scandinavia and based on the description not very technical. In the US, the Rocky Mountains of Colorado are full of high mountains (over 4000 meters), many of which can be done with just hiking skills (Mt. Elbert, for one). I would suggest you think in terms of gaining skills locally first rather than being overly focused on the height of the mountains.

Good luck!

Return to General