Khumbu peaks March '18

Find climbing partners in Asia.
no avatar
Mowglee

Khumbu peaks March '18

by Mowglee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Looking for a partner/s for Island, Mera, Lobuche or Kyajo Ri (or possibly more than one) in March. I have plenty of time. Would look to hire a local guide and a porter, but try to keep things cheaper and fairly independent. Would like to go with people with reasonable amount of mountaineering experience. Please msg me if interested!
Cheers,

no avatar
AKJK

Re: Khumbu peaks March '18

by AKJK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 am

Hey I could be interested? I’m in Nepal right now. Is there any chance you could climb in February instead of March? It’s possible I could extend my visa through March also. I wouldn’t be interested in hiring a climbing guide but a few porters would be nice.

I’m leaving in a day or two to try Omi Tso Go so I’ll possibly be out of cell service for a few weeks. I’m not sure if there’s any service where I’m going? So if I here back from you in a day or two I can respond. If it’s later then that it could be a few weeks until i’ll be able to reply.

Here’s a better way to get in touch with me
johnkelley26@hotmail.com

The following user would like to thank AKJK for this post
Mowglee

herdbull

by herdbull » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:18 pm

If memory services me correctly you'll need a guide & permit for any of those peaks you mentioned. Just double check. Things can get kinda sketchy in Nepal if you're caught without the proper paperwork.

I've been up both Mera and Lobuche in the last 2 years. You'll have a blast!

The following user would like to thank herdbull for this post
Mowglee

no avatar
Mowglee

by Mowglee » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 pm

I'll be getting a guide, as although I'd prefer to be independent, it's a relatively small price to pay for a lot less hassle permits wise. AKJK above has kindly given me a few other leads so it's beginning to come together. Would still be nice to have a few others join the trip!

no avatar
AKJK

by AKJK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 am

Btw the ministry of tourism has very recently decided to not enforce the changes that would require a guide for all climbing in Nepal. They’ve also decided to not ban solo climbing too. The new regulations may still go into effect on peaks over 8,000m?

I was just issued another permit for an attempt (solo and unguided) for a trip that will run into the pre-monsoon season, past the 1st of March, when the new rules were scheduled to take effect.

There seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation on the regulations here... you do not have to hirer a “climbing guide” if you are attempting peaks below 8,000m. Above 8,000m a “climbing guide” may be required? Certain areas require you to hirer a trekking/hiking guide but only as far as basecamp. Examples are the Rolwaling and Manaslu area.

no avatar
AKJK

by AKJK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am

Herbull- your information is wrong. You do not need a “climbing guide” for any of the formentioned peaks. Also since they are all in the Khumbu, a non-restricted area, you do not need a trekking/hiking guide either.

no avatar
AKJK

by AKJK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 am

Btw the ministry of tourism has very recently decided to not enforce the changes that would require a guide for all climbing in Nepal. They’ve also decided to not ban solo climbing too. The new regulations may still go into effect on peaks over 8,000m?

I was just issued another permit for an attempt (solo and unguided) for a trip that will run into the pre-monsoon season, past the 1st of March, when the new rules were scheduled to take effect.

There seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation on the regulations here... you do not have to hirer a “climbing guide” if you are attempting peaks below 8,000m. Above 8,000m a “climbing guide” may be required? Certain areas require you to hirer a trekking/hiking guide but only as far as basecamp. Examples are the Rolwaling and Manaslu area.

Return to Asia