new format

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: new format

by Matt Miller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:My question: can we have a feature on a profile page that lets viewers and owners alike to view submissions alphabetically, chronologically, or some other way?

Yes, that should be doable. Do you have a vision for the user interface for such a feature? A link on the profile page to take the user to the object list page? Or an option to sort them directly on the user page?

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
alpinbeta

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 am

I'd go for a sorting option on the profile page. For example, next to a user's Mountains and Rocks, there could be a "Sort By" tab that opens options: alphabetical, newest to oldest, oldest to newest, highest score, etc.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Matt Miller

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:02 am

More editor issues I encountered while just creating a route page:

* Each field has a pre-set amount of space. If you do not fill it and then need to delete empty space, the heading for the next field can disappear, leaving just plain text.

* Related-- I can not figure out how to add a primary header. Because of this and the issue above, and because the table of contents is no longer automatically displayed, I might just stop using headers and use bold for the titles of different sections. Without fixes, this will be simpler and less frustrating.

* When I insert a photo after some text, the caption is part of a bar that appears across the screen and just above the next header. There does not appear to be any way of adding space for more text between the photo and the next section, so I had to pre-place extra spacing. The effect of this is a huge deterrent to inserting photos except at the end of a section, and instead relying on the large displays on the image gallery.

Matt, if any of this doesn't make sense, I am happy to arrange a call so that I can walk you through what I am describing while we both view the same page.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:30 pm

* Related-- I can not figure out how to add a primary header.

You can copy and paste an existing header to make a new one.

* When I insert a photo after some text, the caption is part of a bar that appears across the screen and just above the next header. There does not appear to be any way of adding space for more text between the photo and the next section, so I had to pre-place extra spacing. The effect of this is a huge deterrent to inserting photos except at the end of a section, and instead relying on the large displays on the image gallery.

I have the same problem:

bar.JPG
bar.JPG (47.46 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

The only "solution" (and it's not a very good one) I see is to add photos directly while in the editor rather than try to use photos already uploaded. It doesn't work if you have captions either. Also you still have to attach all the photos to the page, which is a pain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that the new format makes reading a lot of the pages tedious since text is all over the place. Here's a random example:

https://www.summitpost.org/every-mountain/1008032

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

by Silvia Mazzani » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Matt, i noticed that in some of the pages already existing, the photo gallery at the bottom of the page has attached photos of enormous size and at the bottom it doesn't appear the button "View gallery - nn more images".
This is an example:

https://www.summitpost.org/cima-calotta/904096

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks for all of the bug reports. We're still actively working on a lot of fixes to the editor and new releases of the editor that fix bugs are coming out almost daily now. We hope to get these all sorted out very soon.

There are quite a few problems with the images and tables that should be better after today.

I'll look into the header/table of contents issue too. That one sounds like it's something on our end and not a bug within the editor.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Silvia Mazzani wrote:Matt, i noticed that in some of the pages already existing, the photo gallery at the bottom of the page has attached photos of enormous size and at the bottom it doesn't appear the button "View gallery - nn more images".
This is an example:

https://www.summitpost.org/cima-calotta/904096

The photos do not appear to be too enormous to me. I've attached a screenshot below. Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?
Screenshot 2018-02-12 09.27.49.png
Screenshot 2018-02-12 09.27.49.png (919.54 KiB) Viewed 2244 times

Silvia Mazzani

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

by Silvia Mazzani » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:20 pm

I can not paste the screenshot, but in a screenshot I am able to see only two huge images. This problem is only present in a few pages. Here is another one:

https://www.summitpost.org/aiguille-de-malatr-or-di-malatrat/1014043

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm

The editor was updated today and there is some very good news!

Most pages that have a formatting issue (such as when the left side bar is pushed to the very bottom of the page) can now be fixed by simply editing and saving the page (without making any changes). The editor now automatically cleans up the HTML before saving it.

Bob Sihler wrote:* Each field has a pre-set amount of space. If you do not fill it and then need to delete empty space, the heading for the next field can disappear, leaving just plain text.

* Related-- I can not figure out how to add a primary header. Because of this and the issue above, and because the table of contents is no longer automatically displayed, I might just stop using headers and use bold for the titles of different sections. Without fixes, this will be simpler and less frustrating.

I just experimented with the headers on a page and they all seem to work now and get put into the table of contents. Can you check this again?

Bob Sihler wrote:* When I insert a photo after some text, the caption is part of a bar that appears across the screen and just above the next header. There does not appear to be any way of adding space for more text between the photo and the next section, so I had to pre-place extra spacing. The effect of this is a huge deterrent to inserting photos except at the end of a section, and instead relying on the large displays on the image gallery.

I think this has been fixed as well. Can someone please test and verify?

lcarreau, Silvia Mazzani

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:* Each field has a pre-set amount of space. If you do not fill it and then need to delete empty space, the heading for the next field can disappear, leaving just plain text.

There should only be one primary header (<h1> tag) on every page and it is being loaded as the object (or page) title. All of the gray-bar headers are <h2> headers. So if you accidentally delete a header for the next section, you can simply click on the little "paragraph" symbol and then "Heading 2" and you'll have a new gray-bar heading.

Screenshot 2018-02-26 09.49.19.png
Screenshot 2018-02-26 09.49.19.png (392.22 KiB) Viewed 2175 times

Silvia Mazzani

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Why can't I simply delete something? I added an image as a test and when I went to delete it got a message that said something like "the image has been marked for deletion and will be manually deleted by staff shortly".

Also, I don't think it should let you add an image unless you select a file to actually add. I had trouble finding the browse button at first and thought maybe I'd be prompted when I hit submit or at least get an error, but it just let me add a null image.

Sorry if this has been previously addressed.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 pm

ZeeJay wrote:Why can't I simply delete something?

For security reasons.
ZeeJay wrote:Also, I don't think it should let you add an image unless you select a file to actually add. I had trouble finding the browse button at first and thought maybe I'd be prompted when I hit submit or at least get an error, but it just let me add a null image.

Interesting. I'll look into that.

ZeeJay

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Sorry for jumping on top of the pile but it's time.
Haven't posted much on here lately but what little I have, was for the most part, a pain in the ass. A couple of lowlights of the new format for me are:
Tiny text, photos stretched, can't edit/delete and just about everything else that's different.
It's true that most people don't like change but I think good changes win out over time. The more I deal with this change, the more I think this ain't one of them.
I was gonna put a sad face here but the emojis are so small that I can't pick it out!
Too bad, it was a great site...

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Bill Reed wrote:Sorry for jumping on top of the pile but it's time.

It's OK to jump on the pile. I'm listening and want to make things better. Anything can be changed and we will make changes to ensure the site continues to improve.
Bill Reed wrote:Tiny text

That can be changed easily. I just increased the font size in most content to 16px.
Bill Reed wrote:photos stretched

Other than on the front page, which will change soon, do you see photos stretched somewhere else?
Bill Reed wrote:can't edit/delete

I've not heard of this problem yet. Why can you not edit? And why can you not delete? Pages can still be easily requested to be deleted as they always could. They just require manual approval before final deletion.

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini

by Alberto Rampini » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am

Montana Matt wrote: I just increased the font size in most content to 16px

Thanks. The font size is ok to me now!

The following user would like to thank Alberto Rampini for this post
Matt Miller

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback