Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
no avatar
pjc30943

Re: Report Bugs Here

by pjc30943 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 pm

I'm logged in, but am unable to post to forums. Clicking on the button for a new post, just takes me to my profile page. ... ?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 pm

pjc30943 wrote:I'm logged in, but am unable to post to forums. Clicking on the button for a new post, just takes me to my profile page. ... ?

Looks like you figured it out...you just posted here:
shasta-snowmobilers-help-inquiry-t82749.html

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 am

Yes, the bottom button ended up working. The top button still didn't work when I tried ...

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:Hey Matt - very strange behaviour here:

Probably related to caching. Are you logged into the site when you're viewing the page?

I just flushed the cache for that particular page, but before doing so both pages you linked to looked the same to me and they looked good.

Thanks - you're right, flushing the cache did it. Strange thing last night: I called both urls from MS Edge, which I never ever use - and had the same behaviour. Server cache issue?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:Strange thing last night: I called both urls from MS Edge, which I never ever use - and had the same behaviour. Server cache issue?

Hmm, that seems unlikely to be cache because the cache would have already been flushed by then.

Maybe there is some formatting error on the page that only certain browsers have issues with?

Alberto Rampini

by Alberto Rampini » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:22 am

I'm sorry to say that since a few days working on the site has become very difficult and unpleasant.
- I started to fix my pages with image formatting problems.
- At first everything was ok until the 21th of March
- Now starting from the day 22nd this operation is becoming a real nightmare. The page must be changed with a single submit. Otherwise if the changes are made with different submissions, the page looks like as modified in the first visulization, but when you press the "View main page" button the page appears as it was before the last modification.
- I found out that i need to clear the cronology history on my PC every time i make a change and redo the log-in.

Now this operation is also necessary whenever Silvia Mazzani and i use the same pc to do the log-in. Each time the next user does the log- in, he must first delete the cronology on the pc, otherwise the previous user will continue to appear online. This operazion may be acceptable to do, but redo the log-in every time i edit a data on a page it's really unbearable!

Alberto Rampini

by Alberto Rampini » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 am

The same thing happens with the votes on photos and pages. After voting, in order to view my vote I have to delete the history on my computer and redo the log-in. Only after this operation my vote appears.

nader

by nader » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 pm

I seem to be having the same problem that Alberto is having. I just made this page:

https://www.summitpost.org/hunter-peak/1017025

The pictures at the bottom of the page show. No matter how many times I insert the pictures in the top of the page and take the page out of "under construction", it always goes back to under construction and the pictures at the top of the page never show. This is becoming very frustrating.

nader

by nader » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:06 pm

I just used a different laptop than the two I used last night to create the page I mentioned above and I saw that my page was no longer under construction and all of the pictures were in the correct place. I have to understand what Alberto says about deleting the chronology on the computer. Even if I find out what that is, I don't think it is reasonable to have to do that each time I want to use summitpost.

I had noted that when I clicked on "what' s new" on the computer at work, it was stuck on what was new a few days ago and the new stuff never showed. That must also have something to do with "deleting the chronology". I do not have that problem with the computers at home.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:46 pm

I can't type an "m" in any SP page. "M" does work.

alpinbeta

by alpinbeta » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:21 pm

It seems that there are problems with the previous version of the pages. They continue to be stored on the computer and even on the smartphone.
A little example: yesterday I logged in from my smartphone, I tried and tried several times to log in and log out but without success: I continued all the day to see on the front page the POTD of the previous day!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Scott wrote:I can't type an "m" in any SP page. "M" does work.

OK, the problem seems to have fixed itself. Lots of weird things going on.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:47 pm

AlbertoRampini wrote:Otherwise if the changes are made with different submissions, the page looks like as modified in the first visulization, but when you press the "View main page" button the page appears as it was before the last modification.

AlbertoRampini wrote:The same thing happens with the votes on photos and pages. After voting, in order to view my vote I have to delete the history on my computer and redo the log-in. Only after this operation my vote appears.

Caching has been turned on. The first time a page is served, a copy of it is saved to the disk. The second time that page is served, the copy is served from the disk. So you're seeing the caching page. However, if you're logged into the site, you will always see the page being served live. No cached pages are served to logged in users.

Are you viewing the page in a browser in which you are logged into the site?

I've just tried recreating this issue and I can't do so when I'm logged in.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:50 pm

alpinbeta wrote:A little example: yesterday I logged in from my smartphone, I tried and tried several times to log in and log out but without success: I continued all the day to see on the front page the POTD of the previous day!

There was also a time change made to the MySQL server that caused some issues with generating POTD, POTW, forum posts time, etc.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Caching has been turned on. The first time a page is served, a copy of it is saved to the disk. The second time that page is served, the copy is served from the disk. So you're seeing the caching page. However, if you're logged into the site, you will always see the page being served live. No cached pages are served to logged in users.

Are you viewing the page in a browser in which you are logged into the site?

I've just tried recreating this issue and I can't do so when I'm logged in.

There must be something else going on. This may help, but I don't know if it related or not.

Yesterday I updated my profile page. One of the updates was the "countries visited map". Today my profile has reverted back to the old map and yesterdays' pre-change profile. I know the changes went through yesterday because I screen shot it in order to post it on a different forum for discussion reasons. I don't think caching would cause this?

Edit:

Now it reverted back. There are some weird things happening with SP today. :?: Maybe SP is haunted.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback