TNF Himalayan Down Suit/Aconcagua

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
WindyCityToWindyPeaks

TNF Himalayan Down Suit/Aconcagua

by WindyCityToWindyPeaks » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Can the TNF Himalayan down suit perform as an adequate substitution for a sleeping bag on Aconcagua, if I were to pair it with a thermolite liner to reduce pack weight and space? Thoughts?

no avatar
jmspagggi

Re: TNF Himalayan Down Suit/Aconcagua

by jmspagggi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:14 am

Never hiked any of the 2, so take my opinion lightly...

While looking at the product it seems warm enough, but what's about your hands, your foot, etc.? Are you going to have a restful sleep in it? You don't need that for the climbing, right? So you will pack it just for the sleep?

WindyCityToWindyPeaks

by WindyCityToWindyPeaks » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:29 am

jmspagggi wrote:Never hiked any of the 2, so take my opinion lightly...

While looking at the product it seems warm enough, but what's about your hands, your foot, etc.? Are you going to have a restful sleep in it? You don't need that for the climbing, right? So you will pack it just for the sleep?

Thanks for the reply! I have TNF Himalayan mitts (primaloft Insulation and 600-fill RDS goose down insulation) for my hands, and the insualted boot liners from my La Sportiva Spantik double boot for my feet to sleep in. Plus I won't be exposed because I'll have a thermolite liner as well. I wouldn't only be bringing it to sleep in/lounge around in camp. I would be wearing it on summit day, even if it's overkill for Aconcagua. I was told my situation is kind of like gloves vs. mittens. My suit may be 800 fill and warm, but my extremities are individually covered in it, kind of like a glove as opposed to being completely covered like a mitten. And we all know mittens are warmer than gloves...but that's where I thought a thermolite liner paired with the suit would counter that argument. Anyone else have an opinion on my dilemma? Thanks in advanced!

P.S. I have a synthetic Marmot Tresle 0° sleeping bag. But it wouldn't be warm enough for Aconcagua and I'm hoping I can get out of having to drop another $700 + on a new -20, down sleeping bag...

P.S.S. I got the TNF down suit at half price of what it normally runs -- which can be a grand. I really want to take advantage of it's uses for Aconcagua, with 8000-m peaks on the radar at some point in the future!
-Mark

cab

by cab » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Why risk it? If you are interested in 8000m peaks, you're going to need a better sleeping bag at some point, so might as well get it now. If you really can't afford a few hundred more dollars, rent one or borrow one from someone. IMO you would be pretty uncomfortable sleeping in a down suit for two weeks vs. a sleeping bag. Also, up high, you'll want to keep your water bottles and other stuff like sunscreen in your sleeping bag so it doesn't freeze at night. You might save a few pounds, but is that worth being uncomfortable for two weeks? With the time and money being invested in a long trip, do it right, don't cut corners, and give yourself a much better shot at the summit.

herdbull

by herdbull » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 pm

My personal opinion is you will suffer on both accounts. It's definitely not needed for summit day and really not that great to sleep in. I would bet you'd be colder in that suit than a decent down bag. Bags are bags for a reason. As are down suits.

Now you could sleep in the suit in a bag. That's very common practice in Nepal and at higher elevations. I used a 0 degree Mtn Hardware Phantom on Aconcagua and was plenty warm. No need for a -20 or colder bag.

Either way you're carrying a ton of gear on this climb and more than likely will do a gear haul at each camp anyway to help with acclimatization. Coming down with all that gear is another story - lol. Careful what you all haul up. What goes up..... must come down.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:03 pm

On 8000m peak climbs, Ed Viesturs would bring a very light sleeping bag and sleep in his down suit. Just what I read.

Edit: often he cuddled with his tent partner. ;) But I recall he brought a 20F bag along with his down suit when solo-- for the likes of Everest.

I've made a rather thick down quilt + footbox, 1 lb, with 900-fill goose down. YMMV
Last edited by MoapaPk on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Gear