Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Report Bugs Here

by Matt Miller » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Klenke wrote:Ok, the default SP font size appears to be "3". For the table cut-off problem...
This table of mine was cutting off the right-most column. I just adjusted to <font size="2"> to fix the problem...until the admins decide that the ads need to be even bigger and more intrusive.

The ad space hasn't changed in over a decade. What did change was the width of the center column. It used to expand as wide as the browser window would allow. Now it is fixed width as part of the bootstrap responsive redesign. If you make the table wider than the center column where the main content is displayed, it will always be cut off, even if the ads were to be removed. When it is cut off, you can scroll right to see the rest. This is how all tables that are wider than the column in which they are living will display.

You solution of changing the font size so that all of the text and images fits into the width of that column is a good one. There are several other options that would help make the table less wide as well.

Klenke

by Klenke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Wasn't there a time when logged in users didn't see the ads? I'm pretty sure that is the case. Because when I made (and edited even as recently as late last year) my tables, particularly the ones newer than 10 years old, the cut-off column(s) were not a problem. So something has changed. The ads weren't that intrusive even as late as last year. Either that or they began showing up even for logged in users.

Even the ad in this Quick Reply frame is a) trying to sell me a dating service to meet Asian Women (for some reason....huh?), and b) squeezing this box I'm typing in leftward while simultaneously wasting space to the right of the ad (blank gray area), which means that many less lines of text before the scroll bar shows up. Not a big deal to me because I don't post much, but it still seems odd. Obviously the ads are here to stay (sigh) but maybe the one here can be moved to the right to widen this text box.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Klenke wrote:Because when I made (and edited even as recently as late last year) my tables, particularly the ones newer than 10 years old, the cut-off column(s) were not a problem.

Again, that issue has nothing to do with the ads. It has to do with the fact that the center column is now a fixed width. Anything that is wider than that width, which your table was when the font size was larger, will require scrolling right to see all of it.

Klenke

by Klenke » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:07 am

Is it a true statement that logged in users did not in the old days see ads on summitpost?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Klenke wrote:Is it a true statement that logged in users did not in the old days see ads on summitpost?

That was true in the really old days when the site was pretty new, but hasn't been true for years.

Klenke

by Klenke » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Matt: is there an operational limit to how many rows a table can have on a summitpost page?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Scott wrote:
Klenke wrote:Is it a true statement that logged in users did not in the old days see ads on summitpost?

That was true in the really old days when the site was pretty new, but hasn't been true for years.

I don't know the answer to that. I started working with SummitPost in 2006 and it already had ads on it at that point.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Klenke wrote:Matt: is there an operational limit to how many rows a table can have on a summitpost page?

No, there shouldn't be. But the newest editor will have trouble with pages that have a lot of images and I know quite a few people like putting images in tables with a lot of rows. If you do that, it would be best to use the old editor or the ancient editor.

yatsek

by yatsek » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Couldn't open the front page all Sunday and it's already Monday where I am and I still can't, neither can I send PMs: "Cannot connect: DB Error: connect failed"

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:03 am

yatsek wrote:Couldn't open the front page all Sunday and it's already Monday where I am and I still can't, neither can I send PMs: "Cannot connect: DB Error: connect failed"

The hardware this virtual server resides on went down on Saturday night. The crash resulted in some database tables being corrupted. All has been fixed as of about 8 hours ago, so you should no longer be seeing any errors. You might have to do a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5) if the page was cached by your browser when it was an error.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
yatsek

Klenke

by Klenke » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:52 am

Matt, is there some sort of CSS style for cell padding placed on all tables on Summitpost that is not 0px? All of my tables (list pages) and tables owned by others I've looked at place spaces (padding) on either side of table content, which obviously means the tables are a lot wider than they need to be? If you're telling me the center section that a table resides in is a fixed width now, then the user may wish to squeeze the table by removing said padding.

Here is an example of the unnecessarily wide table due to not being able to remove the padding:
this list.

Is there a way to override the padding that SP may be imposing on tables?

What I'm trying to do is make the content look tight like the top table at right here, not spread out like the bottom table:
html testing link

Klenke

by Klenke » Wed May 02, 2018 8:06 am

Never mind. I have figured out the html code to squeeze the columns. Now just to fine tune the layout.

The following user would like to thank Klenke for this post
Matt Miller

artrock23

by artrock23 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:18 am

Why am I being redirected to my profile page when trying to access the Off Route forum?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri May 04, 2018 7:36 pm

artrock23 wrote:Why am I being redirected to my profile page when trying to access the Off Route forum?

I've had this happen before as well, but simply clearing all summitpost.org cookies in your browser and then logging into the site again should fix the issue.

artrock23

by artrock23 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
artrock23 wrote:Why am I being redirected to my profile page when trying to access the Off Route forum?

I've had this happen before as well, but simply clearing all summitpost.org cookies in your browser and then logging into the site again should fix the issue.

I've done as you suggested, but the problem persists.

ETA: The issue only seems to occur when using my phone. Now on the computer, everything's okay, except that some of the threads in this forum have posts in Chinese script. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback