Pawtuckaway a good warmup hike for White Mountains?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Ravnos

Pawtuckaway a good warmup hike for White Mountains?

by Ravnos » Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi all! Just joined as I'm planning a 3.5-day hike in WMNF in June (which includes SOBO Franconia Ridge from Garfield, then looping up the Franconia Brook trail to Galehead, with some side trips in there), and I want to do a good practice day trip with a full pack. I was just wondering if Pawtuckaway would be good for that (doing both North and South), or if I should look to do more elevation (like Monadnock)?

Relevant info: I've done 4000-footers before but not in a long time, and I'm very-used to carrying 20lbs around for hours on end, so I'm not so much worried about that. My fitness levels are very high, I just want to get used to the way my pack sits, etc.

nartreb

Re: Pawtuckaway a good warmup hike for White Mountains?

by nartreb » Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Pawtuckaway (especially South) and Monadnock are fairly similar. Both are lovely hikes. Monadnock will give you a bit more elevation gain, in a more sustained way, but if you do all three peaks of Pawtuckaway you'll just about match it.

A basic Pawtuckaway crater-rim circuit, plus detour to Middle, is about eight miles, around 1300 feet of gain.

Monadnock by the longest route (Pumpelly) is about four miles each way, 1500 feet of gain.

I'd go for Pawtuckaway, it's a bit more varied, a bit less crowded, and this time of year you can find some uncommon wildflowers like hepatica and bloodroot. (But if you go traipsing through the trillium, beware of ticks.)

Some final cautions: in June, Garfield ridge will probably still have snow, and it will be rotten. Snowshoes may or may not help. Also be aware of stream crossings. If your planned detours include the lower sections of the Lincoln Brook trail, for example, you may find the stream crossings impossible.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
Ravnos

Ravnos

Re: Pawtuckaway a good warmup hike for White Mountains?

by Ravnos » Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 pm

nartreb wrote:I'd go for Pawtuckaway, it's a bit more varied, a bit less crowded, and this time of year you can find some uncommon wildflowers like hepatica and bloodroot. (But if you go traipsing through the trillium, beware of ticks.)

Awesome thank you. That should work perfectly. And yeah... Definitely a thing to avoid. I hear they're going to bad this year.

nartreb wrote:Some final cautions: in June, Garfield ridge will probably still have snow, and it will be rotten. Snowshoes may or may not help. Also be aware of stream crossings. If your planned detours include the lower sections of the Lincoln Brook trail, for example, you may find the stream crossings impossible.

Oh good to know. I'll definitely pack my microspikes at least. I can share our mapped route if you're interested. Planned detours include Black Pond and maybe the Twins.

BTW - thanks for responding! Your posts here on the Pemi loop and Middlesex Fells (my favorite local hiking spot) were what inspired me to make an account!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)