Good solo summits in the alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
HighOnTheHills

Good solo summits in the alps

by HighOnTheHills » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 am

I'm a experienced hill walker and moderate climber with good winter experience in Scotland and im looking have a trip to the alps some time soon. I prefer to travel alone and am wondering if there are some safe peaks in the alps I could summit solo. By safe I mean minimal if any glacier travel.

Thanks Jordan.

mallowman

Re: Good solo summits in the alps

by mallowman » Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 pm

One of the best in my opinion is the Haut Cime in the Dents du Midi. over 3200mtrs and a hiking peak. One of the finest views in the Alps. Near Chamonix the Aguille Belvedere in the Aiguilles Rouges is also very solo-able. Mont Tondu another that is do-able as well is Aig Berangere on the domes du Miage. Further east the Lagginhorn is a 4000er that is eminantly solo-able. Enjoy

fernandoe@yahoo.com

Re: Good solo summits in the alps

by fernandoe@yahoo.com » Thu May 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Last year I went to the Cabane des Aguilles Rouge and climbed Le Etoile. It is near Arolla. It was more of a hiking climb. There was a little bit of glacier travel, 100 m in all. To the left, there was a pass, Col de Darbonneire, with an unnamed peak, a small ice climb. I did this too. When I got to the top I found a set of tracks heading down on the other side, onto the glacier, in the direction of the Lac des Dix; and I followed these tracks for some time. Very enjoyable.

Return to Europe