STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Jow

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Jow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Bark Eater wrote:
Thanks, Doogie. I cross-referenced this discussion on the Highpointers Facebook page to try to get some better definition of the issue. Nice to hear from you!

This is concerning. Especially since I'm planning 10 year wedding anniversary trip here next fall. I wonder what prompted this?

spiderman

by spiderman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Anyone on Summitpost doing the state highpoint second lap list?... it gives us something to work on when the first lap is almost complete. My little boy and I have a bunch left in the northeast.

http://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41209&cid=6288

xDoogiex: let me know if you had interest in some 14ers. We live in the next town over and head up to the mountains almost every weekend.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:34 pm

spiderman wrote:Anyone on Summitpost doing the state highpoint second lap list?... it gives us something to work on when the first lap is almost complete. My little boy and I have a bunch left in the northeast.

http://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41209&cid=6288

xDoogiex: let me know if you had interest in some 14ers. We live in the next town over and head up to the mountains almost every weekend.

Will do. I've never heard of that list. Looks sweet

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Jow wrote:
Bark Eater wrote:
Thanks, Doogie. I cross-referenced this discussion on the Highpointers Facebook page to try to get some better definition of the issue. Nice to hear from you!

This is concerning. Especially since I'm planning 10 year wedding anniversary trip here next fall. I wonder what prompted this?

They have a little rock structure that looks almost looks like a cairn or the usual rock structure on a peak but its apparently a sacred altar. People stand and sit on it like I did and maybe other stuff they found disrespectful. There is no way to have known it was suppose to be an altar. That's what a worker up there told me. When I was coming down more were going up to do it

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I guess it's new

Where is the sign located? Is that just below the summit or further down the mountain? You're suppose to hike the road the last 1/4 mile but the last short trail to the summit has been open in the past.

I'd fully support a sign that instructed people to stay on the trail and please don't disrespect the alter. As a climber and highpointer, obviously I don't care for restrictions that prohibit people from reaching a summit.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:30 pm

xDoogiex wrote:
Bark Eater wrote:
IagosGhost wrote:My summer 2014 plans are Kings Peak, Utah on July18, and Mt. Elbert, Colorado on August 30. They will be HPs #10 and #11 for me. It's going to be fun!

Hotoven, Andy, and I successfully summitted Kings Peak on July 4th. A few short snow fields to cross...no big deal. The famed hordes of mosquitoes did not materialize. We did not find the short cut herd path along West Gunsight so dropped into the Painter Basin. Apparently we needed to go directly up from Gunsight Pass in order to get above the cliff band on the south side of the mountain. Painter made a longer day but was good to get off the ridge due to storms. Get to the top as early as possible. We hit the peak at 11:30 AM. By noon it was threatening to storm. Long but very enjoyable day trip.... 15 hours RT from trailhead. I was warned it would be very crowded due to the holiday...yet we only counted 13 (including ourselves) making a summit attempt. Most had set up base camp.
Lots of moose in the Henry's Fork Basin! #37 for me, #36 for Hotoven!

I did that on the 4th of July last year ha. Then hung out with everyone's fav SP mormon

You missed a nice shortcut. It starts right after the apex of the pass.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Alpinist wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:I guess it's new

Where is the sign located? Is that just below the summit or further down the mountain? You're suppose to hike the road the last 1/4 mile but the last short trail to the summit has been open in the past.

I'd fully support a sign that instructed people to stay on the trail and please don't disrespect the alter. As a climber and highpointer, obviously I don't care for restrictions that prohibit people from reaching a summit.

It was right in front of the trail that dips a little into the crater that goes to the summit. By the observatories. You would imagine they would of put that maybe at the beginning. I miss you Alpinist. Hope all has been well

The following user would like to thank xDoogiex for this post
Alpinist

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Alpinist wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:
Bark Eater wrote:
IagosGhost wrote:My summer 2014 plans are Kings Peak, Utah on July18, and Mt. Elbert, Colorado on August 30. They will be HPs #10 and #11 for me. It's going to be fun!

Hotoven, Andy, and I successfully summitted Kings Peak on July 4th. A few short snow fields to cross...no big deal. The famed hordes of mosquitoes did not materialize. We did not find the short cut herd path along West Gunsight so dropped into the Painter Basin. Apparently we needed to go directly up from Gunsight Pass in order to get above the cliff band on the south side of the mountain. Painter made a longer day but was good to get off the ridge due to storms. Get to the top as early as possible. We hit the peak at 11:30 AM. By noon it was threatening to storm. Long but very enjoyable day trip.... 15 hours RT from trailhead. I was warned it would be very crowded due to the holiday...yet we only counted 13 (including ourselves) making a summit attempt. Most had set up base camp.
Lots of moose in the Henry's Fork Basin! #37 for me, #36 for Hotoven!

I did that on the 4th of July last year ha. Then hung out with everyone's fav SP mormon

You missed a nice shortcut. It starts right after the apex of the pass.

I got lost both ways in a boulder field trying to find a shortcut after gunsight pass ha

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Yeah, we knew we made a mistake at Gunsight Pass when we wound up in the middle of that boulder field. Backtracked and dropped down to the Basin. I now understand the key is that the herd path has to go up from the pass to get above both the boulder field and the cliff band. Going back it was storming so we were safer being down lower (if you call 11,000 feet plus low) in the basin anyway.

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
xDoogiex

Redwic

by Redwic » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:14 pm

I nearly forgot to post on here that I summited Granite Peak on August 27, 2014... my 48th State Highpoint (all in the contiguous USA). I might never attempt Denali but eventually my family and I will go to Mauna Kea.

The following user would like to thank Redwic for this post
Alpinist, Bark Eater, Holsti97, LesterLong, Woodswalker

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:11 am

Highpointing by the numbers: 4630 miles, 16 states, 10 days, 6 state highpoints (MO, KS, NE, SD, ND, IA), 6 inches of snow in the Black Hills, 5 nights in motels, 4 great friends, 4 tired people, 3 nights camping, 3 state tri-points (MO-KS-OK, WY-CO-NE, SD-IA-MN), 3 nights camping, 2 new friends, 2 tired dogs, and 1 very dirty Subaru Outback. 43 completed for me, 30 for Lillian, 14 and 13 for accompanying friends John and Barb. Great trip! Glad to be home!

Adam Doc Fox

by Adam Doc Fox » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Looking for fastest continuous winter ascent time of the "Southern Six Pack," please.
Hiking/climbing only, car between trailheads, no skis.
Will take exaggerated tales based in hyperbole or the truth. Thanks!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Doc Fox, no idea, but if a record exists, it is probably posted here:
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
Adam Doc Fox

Adam Doc Fox

by Adam Doc Fox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Bark Eater wrote:Doc Fox, no idea, but if a record exists, it is probably posted here:
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/

Thanks Mr. Bark Eater, sir. I will research and report back. Plan on setting or breaking the record over New Year's. Thanks again!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:24 pm

I've been meaning to mention that there is a Facebook group focused upon state highpointing. It's become very interactive the past month. Though I've no doubt that SummitPost will remain THE primary place to go for global mountain information!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2761162 ... 4/?fref=nf

PreviousNext

Return to General