Dumb and Dana

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hightinerary

Dumb and Dana

by hightinerary » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:59 pm

A funny thing happened on my way back to the trailhead…

I hiked up Mt. Dana from Tioga Pass today. On my descent, when I was only about 20 minutes from my car, I encountered two young men on their way up. One of them asked me, “Are you worried about the weather?” He indicated the gathering storm clouds which I had not yet even noticed. Being so close to the finish, I replied, “Not now.” Then he asked, “Do you think we will make it to that mountain?” But he pointed toward Mt. Gibbs! I had to explain to him where Mt. Dana is.

Within two minutes I encountered a solo hiker, another young man. He asked me, “What do you know about the weather?” I said, “All I know is there’s a chance of afternoon thunderstorms.” Then he asked, “Do you think I’ll make it to the top?” All I could say was that I had left the summit about an hour and ten minutes before. He asked if I was going fast. I said, “Well, it’s downhill.” He asked, “Do you think I can get to the summit in an hour and ten minutes?” (How would I know?) I suggested he multiply my time by about 1.5, since he’d be going uphill. He gave me a blank stare, seemingly unable to do the math.

Less than ten minutes from my car (now with darker clouds and occasional rumbles of thunder), I ran into still more people ascending, this time a large group of elderly hikers. One asked if I’d been on Mt. Dana, and I answered affirmatively. She followed up with, “Is there a lot of snow?” I informed her that there was very little. I wonder if that fact influenced their decision to continue their ascent into the storm...

The following user would like to thank hightinerary for this post
boyblue, Romain

Marcsoltan

Re: Dumb and Dana

by Marcsoltan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:54 am

Just when you think you've seen it all you hear a story like this !
Amazing !

Romain

by Romain » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:47 am

Natural selection at work...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:08 pm

I don't like it when people ask questions when they don't seem to care what the answer is!

hightinerary

by hightinerary » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pm

And it was a weekday! So I made a mental note never to hike up Dana on a weekend.

On Mt. Whitney, it's "How far to Trail Camp?"

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:23 pm

hightinerary wrote:And it was a weekday! So I made a mental note never to hike up Dana on a weekend.

On Mt. Whitney, it's "How far to Trail Camp?"

It's all highly variable. I once hiked it on Memorial Day weekend and only encountered two other parties the entire day.

no avatar
StorminMatt

by StorminMatt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:22 pm

hightinerary wrote:Then he asked, “Do you think we will make it to that mountain?” But he pointed toward Mt. Gibbs! I had to explain to him where Mt. Dana is.

Um, Mount Gibbs is not visible from anywhere on the Mount Dana Use Trail. Except, of course, the summit.

hightinerary

Um and Ummer

by hightinerary » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm

I suppose I shouldn't have tried to guess what the gentleman was pointing at. The point was that he was pointing away from Mt. Dana.

T. White
Forum Moderator

by T. White » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:29 am

96avs01 wrote:It's all highly variable. I once hiked it on Memorial Day weekend and only encountered two other parties the entire day.

On the last day of September this year, a sunny Sunday, there were a couple trail runners around dawn, a few solo hikers some time thereafter, and a sputtering stream of families and less-prepared souls as noon passed. I actually expected more of a zoo.

Return to California