Tuberculosis at altitude

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
no avatar
saltyrock

Tuberculosis at altitude

by saltyrock » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:15 pm

I work in the healthcare field and tested positive on a TB skin test in the past. I've heard that high altitudes might be beneficial for any tuberculosis infection that I have in me. Does anyone know if that is a myth or if it might help?

mrchad9

Re: Tuberculosis at altitude

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 pm

If you work in the healthcare field shouldn't you ask someone you work with about this?

no avatar
campranger

by campranger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 am

Interesting question as high-altitude medicine is usually about mountain sickness. There are different types of tuberculosis infections - active and latent. Active tuberculosis often show up with pulmonary (i.e. lung) symptoms. There have been reports that high altitudes (and the low oxygen environment) may improve symptoms related to pulmonary TB and possibly even cure it. The research is limited though.

Latent TB, on the other hand, usually means that you were exposed to TB in the past but don't have any active signs of it right now other than being positive on the skin test. Positive TB skin tests are common in healthcare workers and these days it's worth getting a TB blood test to confirm that the TB skin test was even accurate:
https://www.accesalabs.com/QuantiFERON- ... Blood-Test

Assuming that you do have a real positive TB test and don't have any active signs of TB in your lungs or elsewhere, the lower oxygen levels at altitude should have no effect on a latent TB infection. Possibly different story if it does turn into an active TB infection at a later date.

Hope that helps!

no avatar
saltyrock

by saltyrock » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Many thanks for the input

no avatar
zarar

by zarar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:49 pm

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7921801038

there is this article in this book it's intersting