Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
nader

Search results issues

by nader » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:28 pm

I have liked many of the new features but I have noted that when I click on "What's New" and then "more", instead of getting a list of the new mountains, I get a big map of the world with only 2 of the new mountains on the left side of the page. I then have to scroll down to see the other new mountains. I am unable to see who the pages were created by and if looking for my own pages, unable to see if the score went up signifying that someone voted on my pages.

What is the advantage of having the big world map popping up when you click on "more"? The map appears only for "mountains" and "routes" not for "trip reports", "albums" etc.

The following user would like to thank nader for this post
Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Report Bugs Here

by Matt Miller » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:57 pm

nader wrote:I have liked many of the new features but I have noted that when I click on "What's New" and then "more", instead of getting a list of the new mountains, I get a big map of the world with only 2 of the new mountains on the left side of the page. I then have to scroll down to see the other new mountains.

The center of the map is generated based on the location of the mountains on the page. Since they are spread all over the world, the centroid only shows a couple of them. We could change the zoom level (making it zoom out further) and will look into doing that so more mountains show on the map.

nader wrote:I am unable to see who the pages were created by

Good point. We can add that in.

nader wrote:and if looking for my own pages, unable to see if the score went up signifying that someone voted on my pages.

OK, we can add the score back into the display as well. Though we are trying to reduce clutter and that information is displayed on the bubble pop-up and also in the list view. I don't think it is necessary to put on the left sidebar as well when in map view. Do you?

nader wrote:What is the advantage of having the big world map popping up when you click on "more"?

So that people can see where in the world the mountains are located.

nader wrote:The map appears only for "mountains" and "routes" not for "trip reports", "albums" etc.

Right. Albums typically don't have geolocation data and therefore can't be shown on a map. Trip reports sometimes have lat/lon and sometimes don't. So the primary objects that almost always have geolocation data are the only ones that default to map view. The other objects default to list view. But a single click of a button (big green button at the top of the search results page) can switch between the two. Be aware that any objects without geolocation data will currently not show in the map display since it is impossible to put them on a map without latitude and longitude data.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:29 am

Tonight I discovered that routes are not appearing as children on their parent pages. You can see mountains, albums, trip reports, etc. listed, but not routes.

When you go to the route pages themselves, you can see the parent list on the left side, but the routes do not appear there on the parent pages.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:43 am

Bob Sihler wrote:Tonight I discovered that routes are not appearing as children on their parent pages.

Thanks for reporting this, Bob. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Tonight I discovered that routes are not appearing as children on their parent pages. You can see mountains, albums, trip reports, etc. listed, but not routes.

When you go to the route pages themselves, you can see the parent list on the left side, but the routes do not appear there on the parent pages.

OK, this should be fixed now. Thanks again for the bug report!

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Bob Sihler

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm

I have been having major problems trying to size photos in tables. It doesn't work anymore in either the new editor or old editor. Now, it just links to the original photo instead of editing. In the old editor, it does bring up the text box, but as soon as you change something and release your finger from the mouse or keyboard, it links to the original photo instead of editing.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Scott wrote:I have been having major problems trying to size photos in tables. It doesn't work anymore in either the new editor or old editor.

Can you please send me a link to a page that you are editing or working on, along with a description of what you're doing so I can try to recreate and fix the issue?

The way the images are being served to pages has changed recently and I figured there will be a few small things to work through. This sounds like one of them.

If you're choosing the correct "size" image (i.e. small, medium, large) it should display correctly once the page is saved. Though I'm not sure if it will look right within the editor. I'll have to take a look to see, so please give me more details so I can duplicate the issue and work on a solution.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Matt Miller wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:Tonight I discovered that routes are not appearing as children on their parent pages. You can see mountains, albums, trip reports, etc. listed, but not routes.

OK, this should be fixed now. Thanks again for the bug report!

Yes, it looks right now. Thanks!
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Matt Miller wrote:
Scott wrote:I have been having major problems trying to size photos in tables. It doesn't work anymore in either the new editor or old editor.

Can you please send me a link to a page that you are editing or working on, along with a description of what you're doing so I can try to recreate and fix the issue?

The way the images are being served to pages has changed recently and I figured there will be a few small things to work through. This sounds like one of them.

If you're choosing the correct "size" image (i.e. small, medium, large) it should display correctly once the page is saved. Though I'm not sure if it will look right within the editor. I'll have to take a look to see, so please give me more details so I can duplicate the issue and work on a solution.

I have had the same issues Scott has. While I can resize an entire table, I cannot resize individual pictures within them.

Also, I cannot figure out how to resize or align single images not in tables. Once I submit the page, the picture (especially vertical images) appears way too large for my taste, below the text, and on the left. I have not figured out how to adjust any of that with the new editor.

Examples of all of the above are on display in this page I submitted last night: https://www.summitpost.org/penny-lane-5 ... es/1027934

Another very frustrating feature of the new editor is that when I submit a page, the editor creates one or more extra blank lines between paragraphs, and then I have to go back and manually fix that so there are not huge tracts of empty space.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 pm

Scott wrote:as soon as you change something and release your finger from the mouse or keyboard, it links to the original photo instead of editing.

I tested and figured out what you are describing. I'll see if we can change the way that functions in the old editor to allow for it to function as it used to.

But hopefully we can move away from the old editors entirely once we get this new one polished enough.

Bob Sihler wrote:I have had the same issues Scott has. While I can resize an entire table, I cannot resize individual pictures within them.

I just edited your page, playing around with image sizes. See here:
https://www.summitpost.org/penny-lane-5 ... es/1027934

Feel free to revert to a previous version or let me know if you'd like me to alter it some more.

It is fairly easy to choose the size when inserting an image (small, medium, large or biggest) or resize images by viewing the source code and then entering the size of image you'd like (i.e. look for /images/small/ and change it to /images/medium/). But I believe the older editor had some feature that popped up a dialogue box that allowed for editing the size, caption, etc., correct? We can implement something similar in this editor. What sort of controls would you like to see?

Bob Sihler wrote:Another very frustrating feature of the new editor is that when I submit a page, the editor creates one or more extra blank lines between paragraphs, and then I have to go back and manually fix that so there are not huge tracts of empty space.

I had noticed that as well, but assumed it was something I was doing wrong. I just looked and found what was causing the problem. I think it should be fixed now when using the new editor, but I am unsure if the old editors will still function as they used to with the change I just made.

If the older editors do not function as expected when it comes to carriage returns, please report that here as well.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:18 am

It is fairly easy to choose the size when inserting an image (small, medium, large or biggest)

For tables at least, I like the thumbnail size as small tends to make tables too long. Is there any way to add an option for thumbnail size, or would this be really difficult? Older editors used to have an option for thumbnail.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:45 am

Scott wrote:For tables at least, I like the thumbnail size as small tends to make tables too long. Is there any way to add an option for thumbnail size, or would this be really difficult? Older editors used to have an option for thumbnail.

We can easily add a thumbnail size. I'll add it to our TO DO list.

Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:22 am

Matt Miller wrote:
Scott wrote:For tables at least, I like the thumbnail size as small tends to make tables too long. Is there any way to add an option for thumbnail size, or would this be really difficult? Older editors used to have an option for thumbnail.

We can easily add a thumbnail size. I'll add it to our TO DO list.

OK, thanks.

I don't know if it will be difficult, but is there a way we can add the missing countries that have been missing on SP since 2006? I was just about to add a bunch of pages in countries that don't exist in the pull down menu. I think pages would be easier to find if you can search by country.

I'm not sure if the below list is comprehensive, but these for sure need fixing if possible:

Countries With Errors in Their SP Names:

Trinida: should be Trinidad and Tobago

Missing Countries:

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
South Sudan
Niue
Cook Islands
Samoa (formerly Western Samoa)

All of these are official countries.

Addition of other constituent countries (on October 10 2010, Netherlands Antilles changed from a autonomous country to separate constituent countries):

Aruba
Curaçao
Sint Maarten
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba

Former Territories Given Country Status:

French Polynesia: Formerly a territory, was given country status in 2003.

Disputed Countries (i.e recognized through much of the world):

Western Sahara
Palestinian Authority

Territories or Commonwealths:

Though territories and commonwealths, these are given the same status as Dependent Countries, but not fully Independent Countries. I think they should be included in the drop downs. It makes searching for mountains in those areas so much easier. For example, when I went to Puerto Rico, I sure wish it was easier to find the SP info there. Same with Guadeloupe, etc. It's kind of a pain to search through all the pages in the Unites States or France just to see what mountains have been added to Puerto Rico and Guadeloupe.

Anguilla
Saint Martin
Cayman Islands
Guadeloupe
Martinique
Monserrat
Turks and Caicos
Falkland Islands
French Guiana
Réunion
Channel Islands
Faroe Islands
Gibraltar
American Samoa
Guam
New Caledonia
Norfolk Island
Northern Mariana Islands
Pitcarin Islands

Thanks!

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:11 am

Scott wrote:is there a way we can add the missing countries that have been missing on SP since 2006?

I did this shortly after I took over the site. I think most of the ones on your list are there now.

Can you take a look and let me know if any are missing?

Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:40 am

Matt Miller wrote:
Scott wrote:is there a way we can add the missing countries that have been missing on SP since 2006?

I did this shortly after I took over the site. I think most of the ones on your list are there now.

Can you take a look and let me know if any are missing?

OK, nice.

I didn't notice because the only ones I was adding pages to were still missing. These are still missing.

Countries:

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba (all currently form one country)
Curaçao
Sint Maarten

Territory:

Saint Martin

I was going to add several pages in those places.

Thanks!

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Matt Miller

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback