Trekking vs Hiking

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
cagatay

Trekking vs Hiking

by cagatay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Hello,

I will try to keep it short and simple.

As I understand, trekking is a term used for long distance backpacking in the wild. Hiking is a term for daily walking in the nature (ok, I understand it doesn't always have to be "nature" but that's not my point).

I am trying to write an article about trekking in Turkish language. But at the moment I am confused between trekking and hiking.

You don't use the term "trekking trails" often. "Hiking trail" is used more commonly. To define appalachian trail, blog writers usually use the "hiking trail" term.

Majority of the people do trekking in appalachian trail. Then why is it called "hiking trail"?

People who do trekking are called "hikers", but in the meantime hikers are called "hikers".. ee wtf?

am I missing something or I am just dumb? or is it something even you still argue and don't agree on?

Please forgive the lack of my English. I am really looking forward to see your replies.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

Re: Trekking vs Hiking

by ZeeJay » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:55 am

Here are my thoughts on trekking vs hiking. I never use the term trek and neither do any of my hiking friends here in the United States. If going on an overnight hike we refer to it as backbacking. Trekking to me is a term used in other countries and it conjures up images of a well organized commercial trip where some company provides tents/lodging and food vs 2 people going out on their own for a couple of nights. However, I realize that trek could just mean casual hiking as well, but I just don't think of it that way.

I asked my son what trek conjured up to him and he said "you're going someplace but it is harder or more significant".

Not only do we not use the term "trekking trails" often, we don't use that term at all here. No one would say let's go trek the Appalachian Trail. I would say that the AT is called a hiking trail simply because Americans don't typically use the word trek. It's kind of like the difference between pop, soda, and soft drink. There is none, but people typically stick to one term or another depending upon where they are from.

There are just my thoughts and other opinions may vary.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 am

Backpacking means something different in the US than it does outside the US.

In the US, backpacking is an overnight hike of any length.

Outside the US, backpacking usually refers to travelling lightly with a backpack or other small luggage while you travel around, usually using public transportation, and staying in hostels or budget hotels. In New Zealand the budget places to stay themselves are called "Backpackers".

In places like the South America, Asia, Africa, doing overnight hikes is referred to as trekking.

In Europe, they are often referred to as just walking or mountain walking (at least in countries I have been to). In Australia and New Guinea, it is called bushwalking. In New Zealand it is called tramping.

They are all basically the same thing, but different words are used in various places in the world, even in those countries that speak English.

cagatay

by cagatay » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Thank you all. After reading your replies and doing some research on internet, I decided not to obligate "trekking is this, hiking is that".

In this book of Thomas Holding https://www.amazon.com/Campers-Handbook ... 1547090901 which was written more than a century ago, Mr. Holding referred to what he's doing as "traveling". There isn't a single "hike" nor "travel" word in the book.

you can read the book here if you're interested https://archive.org/details/campershand ... og/page/n6

Return to General