Gear for Mt Baker in late June

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Reyna27

Gear for Mt Baker in late June

by Reyna27 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:55 am

I’m headed to Mt Baker in late June and I have no idea how the weather is like at that time of year. What are some suggestions on a good insulated jacket? I’m leaning towards synthetic instead of down due to being the PNW. Something I can wear as my outer layer or right under a shell. Also, I get cold fast so I don’t want to overkill it but I don’t want to suffer either. Also, what’s a good bottoms layering system for that trip? I’m doing Kili and Aconcagua later on but like I said, I don’t want to overkill it. Any suggestions are welcome!

cab

Re: Gear for Mt Baker in late June

by cab » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:16 pm

The guide service you are going with for each of those mountains should have a gear list on their website. IMG has climbs all over the world, but here is their list for Mt. Baker: https://www.mountainguides.com/baker-gear.shtml

Here is some more gear detail: https://www.mountainguides.com/gear-recommended.shtml

ExcitableBoy

Re: Gear for Mt Baker in late June

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:57 pm

100 gram Primaloft hooded parka or comparable. Patagonia Micropuff, MH Super Compressor, Rab Generator, etc. These are belay parkas, and go on over your shell. For the rest of your layers, a long sleeve, lightweight, zip tee shirt, a shelled wind shirt (Marmot Dri Clime) and a Polar Tech Alpha vest. You don't need much in the way of a shell, something light and cheap. Marmot Precip is a good choice. For legs, mid weight soft shells and mid weight long under wear.

Return to Gear