Tra Mare e Monti Nord

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
dougxn

Tra Mare e Monti Nord

by dougxn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:55 pm

I am planning on walking this path in the last week or two of April. It looks like it is open year round and fairly straight forward long walk/hike. If anyone has done this I would be interested in knowing about some of the accommodations and backup plan.

1 - It looks like there are plenty of bad reviews about the gîtes d'étape, so I am inclined to pass them by and make for a long day. But some of the complaints are about price and there are plenty of Augerge along the way that are near 100euros, which are pretty pricey - more than double some of the gîtes d'étape. What gives, should I be worried?

2 - I am trying to decide for emergency camping - hammock or tarp/bivy? Any thoughts?

thanks - dn

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Tra Mare e Monti Nord

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:14 pm

I haven't hiked the trail but been in the area twice, once staying a bit south of Cargese. The trail should be possible in April, basically it should be possible all year round. As for accommodation I can't help you. I'm afraid, however, that April might be a bit early. The season usually starts in May / June. If you plan on camping, there's one natural danger: the pine processionarie. I've been to Corsica in May and June and both times the caterpillars were tramping along trails and dangling from trees. Their "hair" can cause rashes and severe cases of asthma and you don't want to get near them, much less have them get into your tent. I had two weeks of itching fun after touching a spot where they had walked across on my car...

However, you'll probably be lucky as April should be too early for these pests.

Return to Europe