winter 14ers that are doable now

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
davebks

winter 14ers that are doable now

by davebks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:22 pm

hi, I am looking at this page https://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14e ... ter/337648
and hoping to do something this weekend.
Are sherman or lincoln doable right now? do you go from the standard route?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: winter 14ers that are doable now

by Scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "doabe"? :?: All 14ers should be doable now if you have the right technical skills, route assessment skills, and risk tolerance.

Sherman and Lincoln should be doable if you avoid the avalanche danger by adjusting your route. The link you have has the suggested routes to take in winter.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
96avs01, Matt Miller

davebks

by davebks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Scott wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "doabe"? :?: All 14ers should be doable now if you have the right technical skills, route assessment skills, and risk tolerance.

Sherman and Lincoln should be doable if you avoid the avalanche danger by adjusting your route. The link you have has the suggested routes to take in winter.

Well, I was hoping to go up sherman this weekend but I hear the road is snowed in 6 miles below the TH.
I am training for rainier and looking for stuff I can get up solo. I can bring my spikes, etc. I feel like im pretty limited bc of the avi conditions and accessibility.
Just looking for new ideas. im tired of s boulder peak, shadow canyon, fern canyon, w ridge, etc.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:28 am

Check out the book “Colorado Snow Climbs” and Lou Dawson’s two book series on Climbing 14ers. Lou gives the information on the winter climbing routes.

You should at least have taken Avalanche Level 1 and preferably Level 2 because what you don’t know can kill you.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:30 am

I seem to recall the standard route up Humbolt Peak is typically windblown and snow free.

That road to Sherman is typically snow covered well into May, one needs to ski up the road to the climb.

That route, however, may be seriously corniced or at least wind slabbed.

Monitor the avalanche forecast and do at least a Caltopo slope analysis ofthe route.

If you don’t know what a Caltopo slope analysis is or a wet slab, don’t go and live to climb another day.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:39 am

Also check out the 14 er forum because that will have a more local audience than this forum

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 am

davebks wrote:
Scott wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "doabe"? :?: All 14ers should be doable now if you have the right technical skills, route assessment skills, and risk tolerance.

Well, I was hoping to go up sherman this weekend but I hear the road is snowed in 6 miles below the TH.
I am training for rainier and looking for stuff I can get up solo. I can bring my spikes, etc. I feel like im pretty limited bc of the avi conditions and accessibility.
Just looking for new ideas. im tired of s boulder peak, shadow canyon, fern canyon, w ridge, etc.

Currently avalanche danger is rated low to moderate throughout the state. Sherman should be good if you adjust your route to avoid the cornice. If the road is closed six miles from the trailhead, it makes the trip longer, but those extra miles should be relatively easy on skis or snowshoes. Sherman should be a very reasonable two day climb right now, but make sure to evaluate conditions.

Return to Colorado