Dolomites in early June

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
cwoods17

Dolomites in early June

by cwoods17 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:34 pm

My wife and I will be in northern Italy in early June and would like to do a one-night trip to a refugio. She isn't a big hiker, so I was thinking something like Monte Baldo where we could gain most of the elevation in a cable car. I know this is pretty early in the season, but any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Connor

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

Re: Dolomites in early June

by Silvia Mazzani » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:47 am

Hello Connors,

Monte Baldo is ok in early June, but it is not at all located in the Dolomites! It's a fine mountain located in the Verona Prealps above the Garda Lakes, but its landscape has nothing to do with the Dolomites. The refuges in the Dolomites usually open the third Sunday of June, with some exceptions, so most of them are closed in the period that interests you.
On Monte Baldo there is a cableway starting from Malcesine on the shore of Garda Lake.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Silvia is right, if you want to go to the Dolomites, Monte Baldo isn't the right place. I'd suggest Alpe di Siusi or Val Gardena. You'll be on wide mountain pastures with lots of views. There are two cableways to Alpe di Siusi, one from Siusi itself, the other from Ortisei in Val Gardena. Also, from Val Gardena you can go up to the other side (north) to Seceda from Ortisei or to Col Raiser from Sta Cristina.

And with a bit of planning in both cases you can take one cableway up hike to the other, take that one down and take a bus to return to your starting point.

Plus, if you want to stay on top, the huts are more likely to be open in early June than almost anywhere else in the Dolomites. However, the second half of June is the usual opening time.

The following user would like to thank Gangolf Haub for this post
cwoods17

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:01 pm

I was in Val Gardena last month doing the Sella Ronda. What a charming town it is!

I don't think this is in the Dolomites either, but if it were me, I would go to Cresta Croce and the big WW1 cannon on the mountain. There's a refugio there.
https://www.planetmountain.com/english/ ... pologia=37

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

by Silvia Mazzani » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:30 am

Yes, Cresta Croce and the big WW1 cannon are a fine goal near the Lobbia and Caduti Adamello Refuge! I climbed here some years ago. Anyhow a long approach of more than 4 hours is necessary to get to the shelter. Even here, however, we are not in the Dolomites. The group is the Adamello. Very close to the Brenta Dolomites.
I can suggest an area of the Dolomites where huts are comfortable and with quick appoaches and stunning panoramas. Not to be missed!
It's the area around Passo Falzarego. Here it's possible to find some shelters open even in early June.

The following user would like to thank Silvia Mazzani for this post
cwoods17, John Duffield

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Silvia, we drove through Passo Falzrego after skiing the Marmolada Glacier on our way to Cortina. We were wondering what happened to all the trees. I can't recall seeing such a large area of downed wood and it appeared to be from not so long ago.

There is a ruined castle in there somewhere too IIRC.

Photo from the Marmolada

Last edited by John Duffield on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

by Silvia Mazzani » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Yes, it was a fact of epochal significance that still makes nature lovers cry!
Unfortunately, many trees throughout the North-East of Italy - Trentino Alto Adige, Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions - crashed to the ground like matches due to an extreme weather event at the end of October 2018, never happened before.

The bad weather in the Triveneto area on 26-30 October 2018 is an event that occurred in the north-east of Italy (almost essentially affecting the mountain area) following a strong perturbation of Atlantic origin which led to persistent rains on the region starting from 26 October 2018. To this fact it was added also a very strong hot sirocco wind which, blowing between 100 and 200 km / h for several hours, caused the crash of millions of trees with the consequent destruction of tens of thousands of hectares of alpine forests.
On 29 October the sirocco wind reached 217.3 km / h in Trentino, on the Passo Rolle.

The following user would like to thank Silvia Mazzani for this post
John Duffield, seano

cwoods17

by cwoods17 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:22 am

Grazie a tutti! I will research those places, but I think I'll probably need to plan a visit in late summer to properly explore!

Return to Europe