Fitness

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
brichardsson

Re: Fitness

by brichardsson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 am

bird wrote:I agree with you that it is a supplementary exercise, no argument there. But you have to admit, that in training, I think one would base their plan on their most useful exercise.
Saying in effect, the base of my training is my second or third most useful exercise is nonsensical. So either you were mistaken in your first post and swimming is not your most useful exercise, or your base training is nonsensical and focused on a less useful exercise. Your choice.

i would suggest that you look up "useful" in a dictionary. then i would suggest that you close the dictionary, turn off your computer, and go find something more meaningful to fill your life than arguing minutiae when it appears that reading comprehension might not be your strongest subject.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

radson

by radson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 am

I agree with bird. You said most useful.

bird

by bird » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:52 am

brichardsson wrote:
bird wrote:I agree with you that it is a supplementary exercise, no argument there. But you have to admit, that in training, I think one would base their plan on their most useful exercise.
Saying in effect, the base of my training is my second or third most useful exercise is nonsensical. So either you were mistaken in your first post and swimming is not your most useful exercise, or your base training is nonsensical and focused on a less useful exercise. Your choice.

i would suggest that you look up "useful" in a dictionary. then i would suggest that you close the dictionary, turn off your computer, and go find something more meaningful to fill your life than arguing minutiae when it appears that reading comprehension might not be your strongest subject.

I can read and comprehend just fine. It's your writing that's the problem.
But I took your advice and checked a dictionary, here's your quote with the definitions from Websters...
"Hands down (without any doubt) the most (greatest in quantity or degree) useful (helping to do or achieve something) is swimming."
What part of that statement did I not comprehend?

It's not minutiae when you made a clear statement and I disagreed to the make a point that will benefit the OP. Perhaps you should turn off your computer if you are not going to take the time to contribute well thought out and clearly written advice that you can support.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 pm

radson wrote:I agree with bird. You said most useful.

the house is based on the foundation. but the most useful part of the house is the front door that lets you get inside once it's built.

that's the last i'm saying on this ridonkulous topic.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

bird

by bird » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:11 pm

brichardsson wrote:
radson wrote:I agree with bird. You said most useful.

the house is based on the foundation. but the most useful part of the house is the front door that lets you get inside once it's built.

Now that's nonsensical. The OP was not asking how best to "use his house" to continue your weak analogy. He was asking "how to build his house". In building a house (of fitness so to speak) the most useful piece is the foundation.

Anyway, I am going to take your advice as you have so wisely given in your signature. Clearly I am not.

no avatar
BellaHamilton

by BellaHamilton » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for sharing your training plans, I got to know much new for me.

As I`m a beginner in climbing, it`s very useful for me to know what exercises and activities will be the most useful for mounting.
Generally, I have 3 training with weight on all body engaging different groups of muscles. I also run or biking or jumping rope as aerobic activities mostly 3 times a week.
Hope, that will be enough to be well prepared for longer climbing.

fredsfo

by fredsfo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:03 pm

I would highly recommend getting the book, "Training for the New Alpinism: A Manual for the Climber as Athlete" by Steve House and Scott Johnston. It's basically like a college textbook for how to train for alpine mountaineering. It's way too much info to go into on a thread like this, but it's a great reference to have and keep if climbing is gonna be a part of your life. For me the biggest take away was to keep the majority of my training in Zone 1 with a little Zone 3. (Zone 1 being long sessions, closely resembling your planned activity, but at intensities that allow you to hold a normal conversation). This means going out and doing a ton of hiking as much as you possibly can. This is an endurance sport, and while strength, agility and your ability to push are important, it is almost more important to be able to maintain long periods of easy to moderate work.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon May 07, 2018 5:45 pm

here's something I found interesting. Having trained for high mountains with cycling.

https://articles.olympicchannel.com/victoria-pendleton-abandons-everest-bid/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=tw-post&utm_campaign=social-owned&utm_content=news_news&sf188984614=1

Victoria Pendleton has abandoned a bid to climb Mount Everest on medical grounds.

The 37-year-old reached the summit of the cycling world winning Olympic gold medals at Beijing 2008 and London 2012, but oxygen deficiency ended her ambitions of scaling the world’s tallest mountain.

The following user would like to thank John Duffield for this post
Woodswalker

AshleyG12

by AshleyG12 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:01 pm

bscott wrote:i have to say hands down my most useful exercise is swimming. it's non-impact, a total body workout, especially focusing on the core, and is great for cardio fitness (my resting heart rate is somewhere around 50). the other vital benefit of swimming is that it forces you to regulate your breathing. this makes your body more oxygen efficient, which in turns helps at altitude.

i also do interval workouts, and spend a lot of time on the step mill, but even doing an apples to apples comparison (same number of workouts, same length, same number of caloric burn, etc) i notice a huge difference in my altitude performance in step mill only training vs step mill and swimming.

this obviously does not take into account hill training, nor does it take into account weight training, both of which are important.

a sample week's workouts for me might look like:

mon - long step mill workout (45 - 75 minutes)
tue - light weights (45 - 60 minutes)
wed - interval step mill workout
thu - light swim (1600 - 2400 meters)
fri - off
sat - hiking (usually 12 - 15+ miles with 4k - 5k+ gain, always to above 10k' elevation) or long swim (3200 - 5600m)
sun - light recovery swim if hiked sat (1600 - 2400m), or off if swam sat

Woah, thats a hard workouts, how does swimming helps in hiking?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 pm

AshleyG12 wrote:how does swimming helps in hiking?

I swam competitively for many years before starting climbing in college. I also ran competitively for many years before starting climbing. Swimming is a great all around exercise, however, I feel that there are other, better ways to train for climbing. Like trail running in the mountains.

To whit, my lovely wife was a nationally ranked swimmer with a swimming scholarship to Stanford and a bid to the Olympic trials. She can literally swim circles around me, and I was a competitive swimmer. Poor girl cannot hike to save her life.

That said, if you are doing everything else bscott does, the swimming is not going to hurt.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 pm

FWIW, I developed a stress fracture in my foot 6 weeks before a Mexican Volcano trip. My regimen generally consisted of running 3-4x per week and general weight lifting with a focus on legs and core 3x per week. A couple nights per week I'd load a 50 lb bag of dog food in my pack and do laps in the stairwell at work.

After breaking my foot, I swam to maintain my general fitness. On the hill I felt good, but not particularly strong.

I've become a believer in diversity in training to prevent boredom. Running, cycling, swimming, plyometrics, weight training, hiking, rock climbing and skiing all play a part in my being able to play in the mountains.

no avatar
campranger

by campranger » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Rock climbing is my go to sport. Sport climbing when I am working on endurance and bouldering when I'm working on power and strength.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training