Rainier Emmons - mid June vs late July

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
CoA

Rainier Emmons - mid June vs late July

by CoA » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Hey folks, my friends and I are going to make a Rainier attempt this year, most likely via the Emmons route. Unfortunately, with everyone's schedules there are only two weeks that really suit. The first is mid June (~15 - 23 June) and the next option is the end of July (~21 - 28 July). Any suggestions from folks with experience of this route at those times of year would be appreciated.

It looks like in June the challenge can be getting consistent weather and can be very cold. Although it looks like the mountain is in awesome condition at that time with the Emmons route often being quite direct. Looking back at reports from the past several seasons, there has been mixed success at this time, dependent on weather.

By late July it looks like the weather gets more predictable, but the crevasses start to significantly open up and the Emmons route can get a lot more circuitous. The snowpack is lower than average this year, so not sure how much of an issue this could be.

The other option in late July might be to do the DC route - although this would not be our first preference.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Rainier Emmons - mid June vs late July

by Scott » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:53 am

The weather in mid-June would be more fickle, but it tends to be less crowded and conditions are more enjoyable.

If your main priority is to have the best possible chance of summit, go in late July.

If your main priorities are to have the most enjoyable experience, but with a little less (but still good) chance of summiting, go in mid June.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:08 am

Why not do both routes the end of July?

Been there, done that, and loved it.

Go up Emmons, come back down, resupply, and head back up the DC.

The DC will be much easier after you slept high for several nights on Emmons.

CoA

by CoA » Mon May 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks for the info & suggestions.

Doubling up on the routes sounds like a lot of fun w/ the opportunity to see some quite different scenery. Though one of my climbing partners did laugh when I mentioned it!

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)