Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Report Bugs Here

by Gangolf Haub » Tue May 21, 2019 8:38 pm

Matt Miller wrote:Hi Gangolf,

Thanks for reporting this. I am looking at the problem but can't see what exactly the cause is for the fact that the images aren't showing at their maximum resolution.

If I right-click on the image and open it in a new window, it is very large:
https://sp-images.summitpost.org/103075 ... 1095ff2cb5

So there must be some sort of CSS limitation with the wrapping div that is preventing the image from going to max resolution. Ah yes...I see the issue now...it is with img max-width: 100% and the outer div being set at 770px width, so the image is limited to that width as well.

Hmm, I can't think of a way to fix that off the top of my head. A change was made to the CSS so that all images are responsive now, which is very important for proper responsive display of pages on all devices and to achieve that it required setting max-width: 100%.

Let me do some Googling to see if I can find a solution for displaying "responsive" panorama images. I am assuming instead of the image being shrunk to fit the width of the screen, the behavior you'd like to see is that there is a scroll bar across the bottom as it behaved in the past?

Livioz has realized that if you exchange the code of the picture as it used to be
Code: Select all
https://www.summitpost.org/images/original/1030757.jpg

with the code of the high resolution picture

Code: Select all
https://sp-images.summitpost.org/1030757.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=800&ixlib=php-2.1.1&q=35&s=6663b394665603b8b725e71095ff2cb5

everything remains as it used to be. Now the obvious question is whether it would be possible to automate such an exchange...

On the other hand I fully understand that nowadays you'd want responsive design. Back when we "invented" these sliding panoramas nobody thought of displaying SP on a mobile device and we invented rules like the 770 px rule, assuming the best resolution to view these panos was on a screen of 1024 pixels width.

The times they are a changin' - as Bob used to say ...

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:02 pm

I have found it impossible to arrange photos anymore:

https://www.summitpost.org/alps-for-graduation/1041320

Why are the photos all over the place?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 pm

Scott wrote:I have found it impossible to arrange photos anymore:

It looks like the HTML for the photos was either generated with an older version of the editor or copied and pasted from somewhere else. It didn't appear to be the HTML generated by the new editor.

I went in and edited the HTML to make it conformant with the new CSS definitions. All images are now aligned middle, which is the default behavior and looks the best on all devices regardless of the width of the screen.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 pm

Matt Miller wrote:
Scott wrote:I have found it impossible to arrange photos anymore:

It looks like the HTML for the photos was either generated with an older version of the editor or copied and pasted from somewhere else. It didn't appear to be the HTML generated by the new editor.

I went in and edited the HTML to make it conformant with the new CSS definitions. All images are now aligned middle, which is the default behavior and looks the best on all devices regardless of the width of the screen.

Weird.

I cut and pasted the text from somewhere else, but added the photos directly from SP using the new editor.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 am

Anyone else having trouble logging in on a Chrome browser? I have not been able to login on Chrome for a couple weeks.

[Requested new password but the ones sent never work]

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Yes. Deleting the cookies should fix it.

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Stu Brandel wrote:Anyone else having trouble logging in on a Chrome browser? I have not been able to login on Chrome for a couple weeks.

[Requested new password but the ones sent never work]

I use Chrome and have not had any problems logging in.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks all - I cleared cookies (for summitpost and www.summitpost) and I am in.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Something is seriously wrong with the page below, but I can't fix it. The text block width is too narrow.

Also spacing between paragraphs and links keeps disappearing every time I edit:

https://www.summitpost.org/old-booby-hill/1028114

In addition I have to log in and out every time I want to post in the forum.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:32 am

Scott wrote:Something is seriously wrong with the page below, but I can't fix it. The text block width is too narrow.

OK, should be fixed now. Let me know if it is how you intended it to look. If not, I'd be happy to fix it however you want.

Just to let you know what looked to be the problem -- it appears that somehow the image wrapper containers were split apart from the image. When this happens, the editor tries to "auto fix" the issue but when it did so in this case, it grabbed a bunch of the text and put it in the image container that had a specified width of 500px. That is why the page looked so narrow.

Scott wrote:In addition I have to log in and out every time I want to post in the forum.

Can you delete all of your cookies related to SummitPost.org and try it again? There was a serious problem with the login system that I just discovered this afternoon. It is amazing that it was working at all.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Matt Miller wrote:
Scott wrote:Something is seriously wrong with the page below, but I can't fix it. The text block width is too narrow.

OK, should be fixed now. Let me know if it is how you intended it to look. If not, I'd be happy to fix it however you want.

Just to let you know what looked to be the problem -- it appears that somehow the image wrapper containers were split apart from the image. When this happens, the editor tries to "auto fix" the issue but when it did so in this case, it grabbed a bunch of the text and put it in the image container that had a specified width of 500px. That is why the page looked so narrow.

Scott wrote:In addition I have to log in and out every time I want to post in the forum.

Can you delete all of your cookies related to SummitPost.org and try it again? There was a serious problem with the login system that I just discovered this afternoon. It is amazing that it was working at all.

OK, thanks. It looks better now.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Matt Miller

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:49 pm

I click on someone's name in the forums and it takes me to my own page.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Woodswalker wrote:I click on someone's name in the forums and it takes me to my own page.

I have a similar problem, I can see the forum and postings OK, but most times I try to do anything like posting a "thanks" or a reply I wind up on my profile page. I'm not even sure I can post this! Please do something
Ejnar. :evil:
Spreading more unfounded hatred, as usual.

Baarb

by Baarb » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:49 am

Hiya, have been off the site for a few years so not up to speed with reported bugs and whatnot (did a search for the below issue but nothing came up). Essentially am finding that a bunch of my photos no longer display correctly. These are photos that were fine for 10+ years, but no more. E.g., https://www.summitpost.org/ngaurahoe/483713/c-212603. The thumbnail doesn't display, and clicking the high-res view on each says the photos can't be displayed because they contain errors. Thanks for any insight.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:27 pm

Baarb wrote:Hiya, have been off the site for a few years so not up to speed with reported bugs and whatnot (did a search for the below issue but nothing came up). Essentially am finding that a bunch of my photos no longer display correctly. These are photos that were fine for 10+ years, but no more. E.g., https://www.summitpost.org/ngaurahoe/483713/c-212603. The thumbnail doesn't display, and clicking the high-res view on each says the photos can't be displayed because they contain errors. Thanks for any insight.

Some of the old non .JPG files did that. I think .PNG?

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Matt Miller

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback