Elbrus in October

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
thumper

Elbrus in October

by thumper » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi all !
I am new in the forum and new to mountaineering. Last year I climbed Kilimanjaro and since then I dream of higher mountains. Basicly, my only experience is Kili + a 3000m peak in winter conditions. Aconcagua is my next target and I plan to try it in February 2020, but before that I would like to make some training on Elbrus in October (I live in Europe).
Unfortunately, I can not go earlier, so late October is my only chance this year. I plan to do it solo and I am a beginner, as I mentioned above, so I plan to take the South route. My biggest concerns are cravices and avelanches. My plan was to go there and find a budy or follow a group but since it is almost out of season, I start to doubt if there would be anyone to follow.
So here are my questions for you:
1. Are there still any climbers in late October?
2. Should I rely on trampled path since there would be not much people?
3. I read that the South route has markers to follow, but are they visible during snow storm?
4. I am really determined to do it but I don't want to be part of the statistics, so what is your general recommendation to a beginner like me?

Thanks in advance.

With my best regards,
Nikolay

cab

Re: Elbrus in October

by cab » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:22 pm

I climbed Elbrus in late May this year. It was fairly early in the season and there were tons of people. I would expect there would still be some people there in late October, but not a lot. From the top of the gondola, we were able to follow snow cat tracks up to where the route traverses underneath the East Peak. Up to that point, there were not many markers, but in good conditions it was easy to follow the snow cat tracks. We had bad weather on an acclimitization hike a couple of days before and it was much more difficult to follow the snow cat tracks after we decided to turn around. Starting at the traverse, the route is well marked to the summit, but even those wands are hard to see if you get into whiteout conditions. If you are on route, there is really no crevasse danger. I wouldn't recommend going alone as a beginner with little experience. Guides there are pretty cheap and it might be a good learning experience.

Trip report: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQG1DxjV8wMyYgP19

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 pm

thumper wrote:1. Are there still any climbers in late October?

There won't be many at all.

2. Should I rely on trampled path since there would be not much people?

You may or may not find a trampled path; I wouldn't count on it.

3. I read that the South route has markers to follow, but are they visible during snow storm?

Most of the markers will likely be gone by late October. They are just temporary wands.

4. I am really determined to do it but I don't want to be part of the statistics, so what is your general recommendation to a beginner like me?

I really wouldn't go in late October if you are a beginner. Elbrus isn't that technical, but the weather can be terrible, especially outside of the summer season.

I believe the lifts shut down near the end of September. They guides are usually gone by then as well.

no avatar
JStearn

by JStearn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Nikolay,

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks,
James

Return to Europe