Mt Rainier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
punjabi78

Mt Rainier

by punjabi78 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone who is planning to climb mt. Rainier next year. I have never climbed it before but really want to do it and get to know everything i can when it comes to climbing mt. Rainier

ExcitableBoy

Re: Mt Rainier

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Have you thought about taking a course through a club? It is a relatively inexpensive option that would teach you everything you need to know about climbing Mt. Rainier, and you meet potential partners at the same time. Here in Seattle we have the Mountaineers, the Washington Alpine Club, the BOEALPS, the Bush Whackers and probably a few more.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
T. White

hkunsmann

by hkunsmann » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:46 pm

I am also looking for a partner to climb Mt Rainier with next summer. I’ve climbed fifteen 14,000 footers, but never ones with glaciers. I’ve studied the mountain online quite a bit. It looks like the most important thing to learn how to do us crevasse rescue. Please message me so we can get to know each other. Thanks!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Matt Miller

no avatar
Scubachad

by Scubachad » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Hey I am looking for anyone who wants to climb Ranier this December or January! Please get back to me asap... thanks in advance!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Friendly piece of advice based on numerous winter ascents. December and January are difficult, low odds months to attempt Rainier. Shitty weather, short days, and the prevailing winds from the SW effectively strip the snow off all of the south side (winter accessible) routes leaving thinly bridged yet effectively hidden crevasses making for dangerous glacier travel. Late February and March give you better chances at success. Most years a high pressure system develops over the President's Day weekend, sometimes for a few days, sometime for a couple of weeks.

T. White

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)