Denali - Ski Boot Help

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
buckie06

Denali - Ski Boot Help

by buckie06 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Hello,
I plan to climb Denali this June, we are bringing skis to 14camp, still undecided if we'll bring them higer and ski the Orient.

I've been seeing recommendations of buying a full shell size larger in the ski boots to allow for feet to swell at altitude. Would anyone recommend this? Seems like a waste as they won't fit here in Colorado and I will not be able to use them after this trip. Same problem with the overboots. With a full shell size larger, do people get the Intuition liners a full size larger too? I am normally a size 26 in ski boots.

Any specific recommendations on ski boots? La Sportiva has a sale right now so I'm looking at the Spectre

thanks!

Puma concolor

Re: Denali - Ski Boot Help

by Puma concolor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 pm

I dunno.

Seems silly to me. Didn’t ski Denali but did buy the Intuition liners when I climbed it. Made zero adjustments for swelling (liners, overboots etc) even though I’m not a champ at altitude.

I guess it could be more of a thing while skiing than while climbing for obvious reasons, but like you say there is zero potential to test your modified kit at lower altitude.

If I were you (which I’m not), I’d tailor my equipment for the climb rather than the ski descent. Worst case scenario, you deal with some discomfort during the very small window of time you’re skiing the Orient Express.

Return to Gear