Rock Creek Lake to the JMT

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Marmaduke

Rock Creek Lake to the JMT

by Marmaduke » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:02 pm

Can anyone give me any info on the pack trail from Rock Creek Lake to the JMT? It appears that it's about 14 miles and the elevation gain is minimal. But on another site someone said that's at least a two day hike. Seems like it would be a fairly easy 1 day. Beta anyone? I have only 7 days and I think getting to the JMT and then to Tuolumne, this would be logical. From Red's Meadow that is a pretty short hike......

Scott M.

Re: Rock Creek Lake to the JMT

by Scott M. » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 pm

Very doable in a day. I am assuming you are referring to a summer trip and not a snow/winter one. If you get to the junction of the JMT and can go just a bit farther north Pocket Meadow has some decent camp sites.

The following user would like to thank Scott M. for this post
Marmaduke

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Thank you Scott

sierraman

by sierraman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Very scenic one day hike. Mostly downhill from Mono Pass with one irritating uphill just past Second Recess. You can also save a few miles by taking the Half Moon Pass short cut. Scott M. has a good point as there are no campsites right at the JMT/Mono Creek Trail intersection.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
Marmaduke

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:03 am

On Highsierratrails.com there is a map that shows campsites very near the intersection and just slightly south and north..... (Quail Meadows?) http://www.highsierratrails.com/jmt/trailmaps3.html#here

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Quail Meadows is south of your track so I did not suggest it. I think the green tee pee campsite marker to the north of the JMT junction on the link you provided is, in fact, at Pocket Meadows. I had a nifty campsite just south of Silver Pass near Silver Pass Lake once but that may be farther than you want to go in a day.

The following user would like to thank Scott M. for this post
Marmaduke

sierraman

by sierraman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 pm

There are some excellent campsites south of the Mono Creek Trail/JMT intersection, on the south side of the Mono Creek bridge. I camped there for a week in 2009. However, there is a considerable downhill from the JMT junction to the bridge, which you would then have to backtrack. Best to head north on the JMT. Alternatively, you could make a camp 0.5 miles east of the JMT junction, just before the trail leaves Mono Creek to head up to the JMT junction. Once you leave the creek you are committed since the next water is at the JMT junction.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
Marmaduke

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:16 pm

My 2 cents now that I did this trail: This is a fairly tough 1 day, 15 mile hike. Mostly because the final mile or two that has decent amount of elevation gain before descending and hitting the JMT. We missed the shortcut that was mentioned. Also it seems a very popular trailhead for day hikers for the area. Most not going onto the JMT.

Return to California