Any paddlers from Texas here?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Thomas_Z

Any paddlers from Texas here?

by Thomas_Z » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:45 am

I discovered a new hobby recently and now need someone to explain me the details. Looking for someone who's into kayaking to explain what rig to choose, trailer to transport it, PFD, etc. Reply in this thread and I'll get a notification

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Any paddlers from Texas here?

by Bob Sihler » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 am

What kind of paddling? Texas has lots of lakes and slow-moving rivers, but there's also some whitewater.

Because of the climate here, I sold my hardshell boats and bought the Liquid Logic Coupe, a sit-on-top that is very stable, has a skeg, and can handle Class III water. It pretty much does just about everything. If you want to get a taste of whitewater, go to San Marcos; the river park has some Class 2/3 rapids created from collapsing old dams, and it's easy to get in and out. On the rare occasions Barton Creek in Austin runs, that can be serious water but is a blast.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

DukeJH

Re: Any paddlers from Texas here?

by DukeJH » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:22 am

Moved back to the Dallas area after 8 years in SoCal. Have a 13' tandem sit inside convertible to single and an 8' sit on top. Both are flat water boats. I swear all it's done is rain since we got here.

For "bigger" water, you can run the Guadalupe near New Braunfels when they're releasing from Canyon Dam or the Brazos near Palo Pinto during and after major storms. It won't be like the Kern during spring melt...

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander