VAIL - BIG HORN TRAILHEAD PARKING DAY USE ONLY

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Niederbayer

VAIL - BIG HORN TRAILHEAD PARKING DAY USE ONLY

by Niederbayer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi anyone knows since when parking at Big Horn Trailhead is for day use only - no overnight parking allowed anymore ?
what is the situation at Pitkin , Booth Lake and Gore Creek Trailhead - the same ? that would shut me out of any overnight trips from this side of the gore range

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: VAIL - BIG HORN TRAILHEAD PARKING DAY USE ONLY

by Scott » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 am

Was there a sign at the trailhead? I don't see anything on the NFS website saying no overnight parking.

I know that those trails are often closed to people sleeping in their cars because of bear problems, but in those cases it doesn't mean the backcountry is closed.

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:20 am

Hi Scott

must be brandnew signs - they allocate 2 or 3 parking spots for parking between 7 am and 11 pm and the rest for 3 hrs parking -and one sign clearly states no parking between 11 pm and 7 am - glad I got my last hike in via Bighorn ( and did not get slapped with a huge fine or got my car towed) - guess the owners of the mansions next to the trailhead want their piece and quietness.....

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:22 am

7 am to 11 pm shuts the far country basically off - just did a climb of Mt Solitude via Bergschrund, that is impossible to make in 12 hrs... and the public parking area at the intestate exit 180 is closed for overnight to - did not see a sign but got a warning from Vail City

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:32 am

except someone knows areas for legal overnight parking in Vail and bus connnections to the trailheads.....

Return to Colorado