Downloading images/photos

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
dagobah

Downloading images/photos

by dagobah » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:01 pm

On the summitpost website, can images/photos be downloaded as JPG files or JPEG files? I have tried but I have not succeeded. My goal is to download the images/photos to my computer, transfer them from my computer to a flash drive, take the flash drive to Staples, pay Staples to print out the images/photos and then take the printed images/photos with me on my mountain climb so I can refer to them. I go to Staples because I don't use my printer to print images/photos.

Computer stuff is challenging to me (compared to most people) so please keep that in mind if someone reads this post and replies.
I have a Dell Desktop home computer and here is a description of my attempt to download an image/photo:
1. I left-clicked on the image/photo
2. At the top right, I left-clicked on VIEW HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGE
3. I right-clicked on the high-resolution image/photo and selected Save Image As...
4. A Save Image Windows box appears. At the bottom is a drop-down selection menu titled Save as type. One choice is WebP Image and the other choice is All Files.
5. I chose WebP Image and left-clicked on the Save button
6. When I look at the file in my Downloads folder, it's Item type is listed as a Microsoft Edge HTML Document
7. I must be honest . . . . . . I don't know what a Microsoft Edge HTML Document is. Can Staples print it onto paper?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Downloading images/photos

by Scott » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:20 pm

4. A Save Image Windows box appears. At the bottom is a drop-down selection menu titled Save as type. One choice is WebP Image and the other choice is All Files.
6. When I look at the file in my Downloads folder, it's Item type is listed as a Microsoft Edge HTML Document
7. I must be honest . . . . . . I don't know what a Microsoft Edge HTML Document is. Can Staples print it onto paper?

One you click on High Resolution photo and right click on that it should give you an option to save to JPEG.

dagobah

by dagobah » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Scott wrote:

One you click on High Resolution photo and right click on that it should give you an option to save to JPEG.

Thank you for the quick reply. I agree with you. It should give me an option to save it as a JPEG file. That's what I expected it to do. But it doesn't give me that option. Like I said in #4 . . . . one choice is WebP Image and the other choice is All Files. Choosing either one gives the same result . . . . . which I describe in #6.

My Internet Browser is Mozilla Firefox. I'm using Windows 10 and my computer is a Dell XPS Desktop that I bought new in 2017. I don't think any of that info affects this situation but I'm giving it just in case.

I'm missing something but I'm just not computer-savvy enough to figure it out. I'd sure like to figure this out because the weather forecast for Wednesday looks good and I'd like to do my climb that day.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:12 pm

I just tried it and essentially got what you did except in your step 4, I got the option "Chrome HTML Document". I did not get a jpeg option either. I will send some email to the site owner/maintainer. In the meantime, here's a kludge.

1) Left click on image.
2) Left click on "VIEW HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGE".
3) Right click on image and select "Copy Image Location".

(Kludgy part starts now.)

4) Open up paint.
5) Click File.
6) Click Open.
7) Right click "File name" box.
8) Click Paste.
9) Click Open.
10) Click File.
11) Click "Save as".

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:15 pm

OK, so now maybe someone can tell me how to prevent the characters eight and right paren from turning into an emoji.

dagobah

by dagobah » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:22 am

ZeeJay wrote:I just tried it and essentially got what you did except in your step 4, I got the option "Chrome HTML Document". I did not get a jpeg option either. I will send some email to the site owner/maintainer. In the meantime, here's a kludge.

1) Left click on image.
2) Left click on "VIEW HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGE".
3) Right click on image and select "Copy Image Location".

(Kludgy part starts now.)

4) Open up paint.
5) Click File.
6) Click Open.
7) Right click "File name" box.
8) Click Paste.
9) Click Open.
10) Click File.
11) Click "Save as".

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm relieved that you did not get a JPEG option either.

First of all . . . . . I have never seen or heard of the word "kludge". I thought it was a word you made up so I looked up its definition on Google. And I discovered it's a real word. Anyways . . . . . thank you for the kludge. I am grateful that someone was willing to show me an alternative method of downloading an image from the summitpost website. Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate your help.

My initial attempt was aborted. Here's what happened. I clicked on START at the bottom left of my Desktop and searched the alphabetical list of applications. In the list for letter P, there was an application titled Paint 3D but there was not one titled Paint. Since I'm a dumbass with computer stuff, I clicked on Paint 3D and ended up at a dead end because there was no File to click on . . . . . once the Paint 3D application was opened. I closed Paint 3D and then I went back to the bottom left of my Desktop and typed in the word "paint" in the search box. An application titled Paint appeared in the results list and I followed your instructions (although I was still confused with one or two things because I was unfamiliar with the process). The process worked and I now have the image I want. I copied the instructions to a WORD document so I can refer to them in the future.

However . . . . . I still think the normal image download process should work on the summitpost website. There must be thousands of people who want to prepare for their hikes/climbs by downloading images from the summitpost website. I can't be the only person who has encountered the problem that I encountered. At some point, I hope someone can figure out why the JPEG option is not offered in the normal image download process.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:32 pm

I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you (it does for me), but one option would be to use the snip tool. You could snip the high resolution photo and save it as a JPEG.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:24 pm

I was using Firefox too, I just tried Microsoft Edge and it worked there. I just right click on the large image and then click "Save image as" and it gives me the jpeg option.

dagobah

by dagobah » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Scott wrote:I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you (it does for me), but one option would be to use the snip tool. You could snip the high resolution photo and save it as a JPEG.

I thought about the Snipping Tool today. So I guess it's another alternative way to get a JPG.

ZeeJay wrote:I was using Firefox too, I just tried Microsoft Edge and it worked there. I just right click on the large image and then click "Save image as" and it gives me the jpeg option.

ZeeJay's confirmation [that it did not work while using the Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser] causes me to think Mozilla Firefox just might be related to the problem. It might not be the problem but I think its related to the problem.

Although Microsoft Edge worked for you, ZeeJay . . . . . . I'm not about to open up Microsoft Edge on my computer. If I do, there's bound to be boxes or questions or set-up issues that I just won't know how to deal with.

Thank you again to everyone who posted replies in this topic. I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback.

Return to Site Feedback