Humphreys Basin in winter?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Moe1

Humphreys Basin in winter?

by Moe1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:03 am

Doe anybody know if on an average snow year in mid-late november you can drive to the paiute pass trailhead and hike to humphreys basin? What about an above average snow year? Thanks!

colinr

Re: Humphreys Basin in winter?

by colinr » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:33 pm

As far Sierra climate, mid to late November is usually the beginning of when snow might start accumulating, but sometimes a bit accumulates up high earlier, while often there isn't much accumulation until December. The bulk of the snowpack usually forms December-March, sometimes extending longer. What I think you are asking is if that area is usually accessible in November. If I had to guess, I suspect North Lake Trailhead (Piute Pass) and Pine Creek Trailhead would both be accessible to reach Humphreys Basin this November. Of course, you'd want to check the forecast before heading out, especially for incoming storms and wind chill. https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe

Edit: This year there is forest wilderness closure currently listed until December for this area. Also, Scott (below) would have more first hand knowledge regarding the gate than me.
Last edited by colinr on Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:26 am

Assuming the Inyo National Forest reopens beyond the John Muir Wilderness boundary (closed now so no legal entry to H Basin) a trip into that area is quite common during winter months. The trailhead for Piute Pass at North Lake will most likely not be directly assessable by car since Caltrans typically closes the gate on Highway 168 just above Aspendell by early November. That adds two miles to your trip going in over Piute Pass. Most trips in there are made after the snow consolidates a bit since it is often done on skis.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:59 am

Moe1,
This probably ought to be over in the California section but I don't know how to move the whole string. Anyway, anyone planning to start at the North Lake trailhead for Piute Pass or Hump Basin needs to know that Caltrans locked the gate on Highway 168 at Aspendell last week so it adds about 2 miles to the trailhead from parking at the gate.

The following user would like to thank Scott M. for this post
T. White

Return to California