Correcting Wrong Info On Route Page

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
dagobah

Correcting Wrong Info On Route Page

by dagobah » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:34 am

By chance, I found one piece of inconsistent info on a Route Page. It's the main route for a well-known mountain and that means it probably should be corrected. I was unable to find out what the SummitPost website procedure is for informing someone about it. Am I supposed to click on Additions & Corrections over on the right side of the Route Page and then enter the info there? Or . . . . am I supposed to send a private message to the person who is listed at the top of the Whitney Trail Route Page? If someone can let me know, then I will know what is expected the next time I encounter this situation.

In the meantime, I will use this post to explain what I discovered:
On the Whitney Trail Route Page for Mount Whitney, in the Route Description section, it says:
1. Trailhead (Mile 0.0; 8,637')

8,637 feet is quite a big difference from the following Internet sources:
The main SummitPost webpage for Mount Whitney says (3 separate times actually) that the Whitney Portal trailhead is at an elevation of 8,365 feet

The Wikipedia page for Mount Whitney and the following National Park Service webpage say the Whitney Portal trailhead is at an elevation of 8,360 feet (which is pretty close to 8,365):
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/whitney.htm

I think the problem is that it's easy for our eyes to switch the numbers 6 and 3 and read the number incorrectly because we are in too much of a hurry.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Correcting Wrong Info On Route Page

by Scott » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:26 pm

Looks like some transposed #s (the 3 and 7). The topo map gives an exact spot elevation of 2550.5 meters, which is equal to 8367 feet.

I'd suggest posting an addition correction. If the owner of the page doesn't fix it in a few days, I'll fix it.

dagobah

by dagobah » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Scott wrote:I'd suggest posting an addition correction. If the owner of the page doesn't fix it in a few days, I'll fix it.

Thank you for the reply. OK, I just submitted the info in Additions & Corrections on the Whitney Trail Route Page.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 am

I don't think a 300' difference on a trail that gains over 6000' is that big a deal, but I do appreciate an eye for details, and if the page owner is unresponsive, one of us can make that fix.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:39 am

The page owner hasn't logged in for several months so I made the change.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
T. White

dagobah

by dagobah » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:02 am

Scott wrote:The page owner hasn't logged in for several months so I made the change.

Thank you very much.

Return to Site Feedback