Cancelled "Backpacker" subscription: sick of woke BS

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
RaymondShevsky

Cancelled "Backpacker" subscription: sick of woke BS

by RaymondShevsky » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:57 am

I used to enjoy "Backpacker" and have subscribed for years, but lately they have been publishing article after article of woke nonsense (e.g. weighing in on Stone Mountain) which has absolutely nothing to do with the outdoors, including in-your-face tokenism and finger-wagging. I get into the mountains to get away from the garbage of modern city life. I don't want it following me like a tin can tied to a cat's tail. Anyone else here feel the same way?

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Cancelled "Backpacker" subscription: sick of woke BS

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:03 am

Yes.

For the same reason I cancelled my BACKPACKER subscription in 1983. Haven't looked back.

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
RaymondShevsky

T. White
Forum Moderator

by T. White » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:50 am

RaymondShevsky wrote:I get into the mountains to get away from the garbage of modern city life.

Amen.

The following user would like to thank T. White for this post
RaymondShevsky

scramblingbadger

by scramblingbadger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:51 pm

I dumped Backpacker years ago too. My concerns were about their accuracy and credibility. Ten years ago, I was shocked to be contacted by them to write a short hiking blurb because of what I had written in a page I had posted on another hiking site. Despite all their assurances about accurately posting what I wrote them, the finished piece hardly looked like anything I wrote. They used one of their own photos that did not come close to depicting what I had written about. The only good thing about what they did is that they listed my age wrong, giving me hope that anyone who saw what they wrote with my name attached, would assume it was just some one else with the same name as me.

After that inaccurate little piece they wrote, I began scrutinizing much more carefully what they were publishing. Do you ever wonder about some of the "larger than real life" headlines they use? Who needs to be paying for Backpacker when you can access SummitPost for free. And yeah, we do have some outdated and incomplete pages here, but again everything is FREE to use. A huge number of SP pages are well-written and accurate. And I have found that even many of those outdated or incomplete pages still provide launch points for my own research when I am interested in a summit or route.

The following user would like to thank scramblingbadger for this post
RaymondShevsky, T. White, ZeeJay

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:12 pm

Next stop... Outside "magazine." :)

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
RaymondShevsky, Sierra Ledge Rat

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander