Quitting Smoking and Improving Health

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
William

Quitting Smoking and Improving Health

by William » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Guys, I have taken a sabbatical from Electronics & Programming and want to get fit for mountaineering. My problem is I've been a smoker for 20 years. I use to cycle a lot and intend to get back into both cycling and mountaineering. My question is, can I recover enough of my lung function to enable me to achieve my goals?

Thanks Peeps, love from Ireland!

Woodswalker

Re: Quitting Smoking and Improving Health

by Woodswalker » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:59 pm

Congratulations of quitting. I don't see why you couldn't make great progress in physical fitness.
The only way to find out is to get after it. 8)

no avatar
William

by William » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Woodswalker! Just depressed kowning the damage I've done to my lung function! Would love to start cycling nd mountaineering again at the start of next year!

Thanks mate!

no avatar
traveling1

by traveling1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:37 pm

Awesome job for quitting! (Both of my parents have been smokers for their whole lives and my mom finally kicked the habit and is on her own wellness journey too). She had tried to quit multiple times and it is really difficult to do - so you should be proud of that first step!

Keep working at it and I am sure you will be able to make progress! :) Cycling sounds like a great way to get back into things! Good luck!

no avatar
cejike

by cejike » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm

I don't want you to think that I appraise smoking, but do you feel the damage you made to your lungs, or it's just an assumption. Because I kno many people who don't quit smoking and do sports feeling no problems with lung function.

Return to Technique and Training