Zir Peak in Croatia

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mnatureson

Zir Peak in Croatia

by mnatureson » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:21 am

Has anybody climbed this? I've heard there is a cave at the top. I am interested in climbing it next time I visit Croatia and I would like to get some more information on it's routes and difficulty level. Thanks!

Stribbor

by Stribbor » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:10 pm

Zir is lonely mountain in region Lika from where I come from. it is close to highway that goes toward dalmatian coast and the best access is from Sveti Rok or Gornja Ploca. When you come to Gornja ploca ask someone to direct you to village Trkulje. It's only 5 kilometers distance. From Trkulje is marked path to the summit. Path is very steep and you have to be very careful when it is raining. From the top is exellent view on Velebit, croatian mythical mountain. The biggest town in Lika is Gospic. It is very near and there you can find a room. If you have any additional question, contact me on stribbor@net.hr and I'll be more then happy to help you or maybe even guide you to Zir.

pavlakovics

by pavlakovics » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:42 pm

I was there twice, and don't remember anything about cave.

Easiest approach should be to depart from A-1 (Zagreb-Split) motorway at Gornja Ploca exit (just next to the mountain) and then go to Lovinac village, where you should seek for trailhead of marked path. "Normal" trail could be tricky in wet conditions, and summit is almost monolitic rocky head with high walls on other sides. I don't know about any big wall climbing ventures yet.

The hike can be very pleasant pause on trip towards or from coast, as well as supplement to visits to Velebit or nearby Plitvice lakes.

Return to Europe