Sport climbing in Tuscany?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Charles

Sport climbing in Tuscany?

by Charles » Sun May 07, 2006 6:07 pm

Hi I´m off down to Lago di Bolsena for a week on Saturday next.

Anybody know of any sport climbing crags there?

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sun May 07, 2006 6:17 pm

maybe you can find some rocky structure near the "grotte di Castro", I have some friends in that area but nobody can give me info about it
maybe also the rocky walls sustaining Orvieto can be climbed ..

edit, if you want to make some fine hikes go to Monte Rufeno (few km N of Acquapendente) you can find info (and good food) at the "Monaldesca", a small country house near Trevinano
... once there tell Angelo you are a friend of mine :)

Charles

by Charles » Mon May 08, 2006 12:21 pm

Thanks gabriele!!

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Wed May 10, 2006 9:14 pm

From that area, head south to Viterbo, then west toward to coast where you'll fin Ripa Maiala, with around 100 mostly routes on a 30m high crag. They have frequent closures due to wildlife restrictions so you may want to check before making the drive. Its very scenic.

Your other option is to follow the same direction as to Ripas Maiala but on the road south along the coast until just before the town of Cerveteri. There you'll find Furbara with circa 50 routes on a 40m cliff - mostly middle grades. You can also turn north from Ripa Maiala to the area around Obetello but the cliffs are so small you are almost better off sunning back at the lago.

There are also supposed to lots of crags south of Terni but I have no idea where or of what quality.

Technically the Lago di Bolsena is in Lazio but right on the corner where Umbria, Toscana, and Lazio meet.

Hope this helps.

Charles

by Charles » Thu May 11, 2006 4:34 pm

mountaindog! Thanks for the info! So I´ll pack my sports stuff in the car then :o))

Charles

Return to Europe