peaks around polish glacier (east face) of aconcagua

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
innuksuk

peaks around polish glacier (east face) of aconcagua

by innuksuk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Will be on that route in December with some mates again and want to find out what are the names of the good accliatization peaks near plaza argentina. I know the few in behind plaza mulas on the normal route, but are there any decently high peaks (realatively so) that are amenable to walk ups rather than sitting around in tents. Names and heights would be helpful

cheers

col

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:49 pm

I'll be on that route in late December as well. In Penitentes we typically cross the highway and hike up to the top of the ski hill to begin our acclimatization. I believe you can reach over 10,000' here.

At base camp (Plaza Argentina, 13,800') we usually climb part way up to Camp one, rest there for a while to aid acclimatization and return to base camp. There is also some good bouldering outside base camp towards the English Glacier I believe. Just follow the river outside of base camp up stream and you should be able to see the huge boulder around the bend.

At Camp 1 (16,300') you can attempt to summit Ameghino (19,225') on the right from Ameghino Col. For more info you could contact fellow SPer William Marler who has been on this mountain almost every year since the late 80s and check out his Ameghino page on SP. You could also try contacting fellow SPer juh33 who climbed this peak last season.

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 pm

Here you go man...there's a nice overview of many of the peaks in the area around Aconcagua:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... group.html

innuksuk

by innuksuk » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:36 am

Tom Fralich wrote:Here you go man...there's a nice overview of many of the peaks in the area around Aconcagua:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... group.html

That's exactly what I was looking for...sound as a pound :)

Corax

by Corax » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am

Brice has climbed Ameghino and Rico and Gremo has climbed those two and Ibañez. They should be able to fill you in on the details.

Return to South America